Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

This recent slow spell

8/12/16 @ 9:26 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BadMoonRising
User since 3/29/12

I typically fish along Kewaunee and Door County and there's been a noted down turn in fishing action the last two weeks.  I'm not the only one who's noticed this if you take a look at the reports.  There hasn't been much for consistent west wind but there has been some and cold water does remain.  The last three times out going back to last weekend I haven't had a problem finding cold water.  Lots of cold water under the thermocline around 60 feet. Not to mention loads of fish being marked.  Yet the last three times out we've never gotten more than three fish and one time skunked.  This year has been great for so long but now it seems we've hit the doldrums.  Anyone have any insight into this?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/14/16 @ 9:26 AM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08

I agree with svetrium. We've seen this the past couple years now. Just a little more noticeable this year because of HOW good the fishing was all summer. For the past few years, it seems as if most of the fish in the entire lake spend their summer here due to favorable water temps and bait. Once August comes around, these fish start to migrate back home to spawn, regardless of water conditions. What we're left with, is our local fish, which numbers are lower and lower each year due to stocking.

Other factors are probably that: The fishing has been really good this year, so we've put some dent in our local population of fish. Kings get moody and tougher to catch in late summer. Their minds are not 100% focussed on feeding anymore. These factors, in combination with warm water pushing the fish deeper have slowed the bite here along much of the Wisconsin shoreline.

Still been a great year. Can't expect to crush em all summer long. Just be very grateful that we don't live in Michigan. Their fishing has been worse than this, all year long. All hope is not lost either... Yesterday morning was pretty solid early. 5/7 on nice kings from 5-7am. Got tough after that for salmon, but trout are readily available, if you want em. I'm gonna keep grinding it at least once or twice next few weeks. Still time for a giant silver king this year!

8/12/16 @ 1:23 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Slowed down a lot down my way. We are resorting to chasing steelies in 110-135 fow. I think the "wild" fish are headed back to their native waters and not many stockers left. Just my opinion.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.