LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stocked fish or Naturally Reproducing?

8/15/14 @ 1:34 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14
Just wondering what most people are catching out there. Earlier in the year all we could get were naturally reproduced salmon but on the last trip out we got four stocked 4yr. olds that the creel survey team cut the heads off to send the microchips in for recording data.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 29 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/7/15 @ 1:48 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
They have also greatly reduced chinook stocking (and have stocked more rainbows) in the past 5 years. So there are less salmon numbers in general, which is likely why you are catching less.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they clipped less fish due to budget cuts. One year, I don't remember when it was, they only marked steelhead (I think) that were being introduced into certain rivers. I haven't really been paying attention, but it's possible they did that for salmon, too.

7/6/15 @ 11:00 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Improvements to rivers and water have led to this reproduction, it didn't used to occur with any kind of regularity. As dams are removed and natural flow resumed, the silt, which was the issue, slowly gets washed away, making the rivers now better suited for reproduction today than they were in the past.

7/6/15 @ 7:38 AM
Fishercreek
User since 10/2/05
I have yet to have a clipped king this year-including several egg filled females. I'm starting to wonder if there is a conspiracy. ie.-Look, the fish are reproducing naturally, there is no longer any need to stock.

7/6/15 @ 5:56 AM
muskymike275
User since 1/6/08
20 out of 25 Kings I've seen this year have been naturals.

7/5/15 @ 11:17 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I do remember a time ago, not to long, that they said natural reproduction was basically non existent in at least the southern rivers of the state. I remember always thinking that was odd, and always thought that they were probably spawning successfully to some degree. The amount of fish being caught the last couple years certainly seems quite a bit lower then before. Especially from shore....

7/5/15 @ 3:16 PM
mostlyfishing
User since 6/7/13
ditto, I just think its a bit werid how not all that long ago the dnr said salmon couldnt natural reprodcue. Thats just my opinion

7/4/15 @ 6:37 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
You really think there is a conspirocy to not clip fins of stocked Kings? And no body has said anything about it who's involved in the stocking???

7/4/15 @ 4:19 PM
mostlyfishing
User since 6/7/13
In my opinion, I think its a bit weird how not that long ago the DNR said Theres no way for salmon to naturally reproduce, But all of a sudin Theres a lot of so called "natural fish". I think its just an exuse to spend less money on stocking and the dont clip some of the fins. Now dont get me wrong, Im sure theres some naturals, just not lake michigan, wisconsin side . Just my 2 cents

7/4/15 @ 2:34 PM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14
So far this year I haven't caught any stocked salmon. Anyone else catching mostly naturals?

8/19/14 @ 1:57 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14
I don't have much to add other than out of the 11 kings over 14 pounds I've caught this year, 9 of them had an adipose fin. Take it for what it's worth.

EyeChaser Guide Service
(608) 225-2395
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 29 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.