SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

steel line

7/2/22 @ 7:07 PM
INITIAL POST
taimen
User since 10/8/09

getting back in the game after 3yr hiatus. wondering about steel line, run it like a wire dispy ? does it have a better sink rate than the wire i bought(bloodrun) 7yrs ago ? i've  run wire dispys n copper(off boards) before.  is the the steel something THEY want me to buy, or is it something i need ?            

thanks in advance

screaming drags & heavy bags to all

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/14/23 @ 11:38 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Here's a pic of the top guide of my 20 pound stainless rig for my dipsie rod. Got it for much less at Netcraft than the name brand one. It's too easy to get kinks when the wire curls up and sometimes gets kinked with regular tips. Kinked wire is a lost fish and the gear it takes with it. Think spring.....
steel line photo by JamesD
8/11/22 @ 11:15 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Confusion reigns when metal for trolling line is used in the Lake Michigan mix. It's mostly a problem of defining what line is what. Metals; STAINLESS wire: is very strong and skinny so it cuts thru the water and has weight to it. Fish bud, PK once picked up a used reel with a solid stainless wire on it. He used it with a pound ball and found the wire getting prone to curling up when slack came in the line which also made it prone to kinks. Kinks are the nightmare any wire line user has to be careful of. They can be bad enough that the line will break easily on the next fish. Kinks are bad whether they are in solid line or seven strand stainless that comes in 300 foot spools from Fleet or, have the bulk line spun on at Algoma Hardware. I use seven strand 30 pound for pound balls (sometimes called pump handle rigs here on LL), and I use 20 pound for wire dypsies. Both are used interchangeably on roller guide rods that have expensive tips that prevent the dreaded line curl.                                                                                             COPPER: also comes in 30 pound and heavier weights and is an alternative to lead core. These lines get spoons deep in a stealthy manner without heavy weights or turbulent diving discs. I'm a fan of lead core but also like my newer copper line sent out on a heavy duty planer board, (my old yellow birds can't cut it with longer core or copper). They both need a higher capacity reel as some mentioned already. Copper can get kinked too but is a softer metal than steel. It's new to me, but some use heavy standed steel in heavy weights instead of copper, which I know nothing about, that was mentioned by an earlier poster.                                                                                                  Spiney Water Flea season is coming on and  lead core, copper, and wire are more resistant but not immune to that plague. Thirty pound mono on downriggers has a lot of blow back but it does shed fleas better than power pro. I'll be out there with the rest trying for 40 pound kings! Best of luck out there .......Jim.

8/3/22 @ 6:56 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Unfortunately that’s one reason I’m not absolutely crazy about steel, copper etc. you need a big reel. I use a okuma cw553ls. It’s a big girl. Paired with a okuma classic pro GLT. (Stainless guides and twilliie tip) it is a lot of gear to handle… big heavy. But, rewards are better imo than copper. Easier to handle IMO.

8/3/22 @ 9:51 AM
Tipsy diver
User since 8/10/06

New to lake fishing  Thinking of running a steel setup  Is there a problem with line capacity on reels or a difference in rod guides

7/18/22 @ 1:50 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

You will need big boards. A smaller walleye board will not cut it. I run tx44 and the magnum offshore boards. I actually prefer the big offshore boards with the sams pro releases.

7/16/22 @ 5:32 PM
taimen
User since 10/8/09

so set it up an run it like copper then,  150' 250' 350' off shore boards ?

are my regular offshore enough to run a 350' steel, or do i need the 

XL off shore's (350'copper) ?

7/3/22 @ 9:15 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I like steel because it’s more forgiving than copper. I’ve read sink rates are about the same but imo copper runs deeper. I still run steel over copper cuz I like the forgiveness of it…. Just my.02

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE