Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

steel line

7/2/22 @ 7:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
taimen
USER SINCE 10/8/09

getting back in the game after 3yr hiatus. wondering about steel line, run it like a wire dispy ? does it have a better sink rate than the wire i bought(bloodrun) 7yrs ago ? i've  run wire dispys n copper(off boards) before.  is the the steel something THEY want me to buy, or is it something i need ?            

thanks in advance

screaming drags & heavy bags to all

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/3/22 @ 6:56 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

Unfortunately that’s one reason I’m not absolutely crazy about steel, copper etc. you need a big reel. I use a okuma cw553ls. It’s a big girl. Paired with a okuma classic pro GLT. (Stainless guides and twilliie tip) it is a lot of gear to handle… big heavy. But, rewards are better imo than copper. Easier to handle IMO.

8/3/22 @ 9:51 AM
Tipsy diver
USER SINCE 8/10/06

New to lake fishing  Thinking of running a steel setup  Is there a problem with line capacity on reels or a difference in rod guides

7/18/22 @ 1:50 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

You will need big boards. A smaller walleye board will not cut it. I run tx44 and the magnum offshore boards. I actually prefer the big offshore boards with the sams pro releases.

7/16/22 @ 5:32 PM
taimen
USER SINCE 10/8/09

so set it up an run it like copper then,  150' 250' 350' off shore boards ?

are my regular offshore enough to run a 350' steel, or do i need the 

XL off shore's (350'copper) ?

7/3/22 @ 9:15 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

I like steel because it’s more forgiving than copper. I’ve read sink rates are about the same but imo copper runs deeper. I still run steel over copper cuz I like the forgiveness of it…. Just my.02

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
The Wobbler features a bent back for deep diving cranking action that gives the bait an erratic side-to-side kick. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Bio-Minnow Wobbler
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.