LOGIN
Lake-Link

spinning rod for shore salmon

7/31/14 @ 2:37 PM
ORIGNAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Fellas, I have a 9' GLoomis that is a little too light for setting the hook on salmon and I am looking for a different rod. Does anyone have any experience with the Avid salmon series at all? I was thinking an 8'6" medium or med/heavy. Any other rod suggestions? I want to buy one with a good warranty. Thanks.

Jimmy

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/6/14 @ 3:20 PM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
I have a Heavy action Avid 8'6" Salmon/Steelhead spinning rod, it's good from about 1/2 oz up and well through 1 1/2 oz. Honestly, this seems a bit too heavy for most salmon fishing (I'm wading rivers and casting swimbaits for walleyes and muskies). I use a Triumph 8'6" MH S/S spinning rod a lot for lures from 1/4 oz through 3/4 oz and it casts and detects very well through that range - it's the rod I would choose for casting for salmon off the piers with spoons and crankbaits. I'm certain an 8'6"-9'6" MH Avid could do just as good a job or (very likely) better. If you use an appropriate braid, any St. Croix MH or H S/S rod will have the backbone to set the hook into any salmon...

Good fishing! Smile

8/6/14 @ 12:27 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09
The last time I picked up a salmon rod, I was playing around with some wild rivers and the rod felt heavy to me, the eyelets seemed clunky and too small. I ended up just getting a duplicate of the 65 dollar Shakespeare that I have had for five years. It has a lousy warranty and definitely does not stack up quality wise to the higher end stuff but with a quality reel and the right line I really like the way they handle for me

8/6/14 @ 11:20 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
I like 8'6" St. Croix Wild River. Expensive, but for salmon you are better off not going cheap.

I have a cheaper 8'6" Daiwa I use, too, and a 7" walleye rod that also have caught many salmon and trout.

8/5/14 @ 9:06 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Yeah, that's too light for kings. Gl 2 models tend to be a little softer as well, especially compared to a comparable St. croix. You do need that soft tip and big bend, but you also need plenty of backbone to get hooks into their bony mouths, especially at distance.

I don't own that avic, but I have used them (and know plenty that do use them), as well as the wild river models (which are a little cheaper, but virtually as good IMO) and they are top notch rods, their M/H models have plenty of backbone and a nice soft tip, so they also cast really well. They are built for the task of Chinook.

8/5/14 @ 5:39 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
If you're looking for a rod with a good warranty stick with a factory stick instead of a custom. The warranty is only as good as the company behind it, if a guy stops making rods or dies your warranty also goes away.

8/5/14 @ 4:57 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Denesox,

I use the Loomis GL2 mainly when float fishing or casting smaller spoons/cranks for browns/steel. It is a medium action with a moderate parabolic bend. I use 10 lb PP and just cannot hook the fall kings with the larger (3/4 oz) cleos/krocs. I love using casting rods, but I get tired after casting for several hours, so spinning is my choice normally. I am eye-balling the Avid 8'6" MH spinning with maybe 20 lb PP. I figure somebody has this rod and would know if it is nice to use.

8/2/14 @ 5:36 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
OP, I like the 8'6" models, M/H for salmon. I'm an oddball on the pier as I prefer baitcasting gear to the more common spinning gear. My rod of choice is a Lamiglas. I find it easier to turn fish at distance with the baitcast gear, which can be important when fishing around trolling boats as well as dozens of other anglers casting. I also run straight fluoro. When I do use spinning gear I use braid with a fluoro leader. Some of those St. Croix 9-9'6" spinning rods they have are excellent pier casting rods, I think your length is fine, its just too soft. What is the action on your rod? Can you post a pic of its specs (on the rod)? I'm interested to know exactly what you have, it may be great for smaller spoons or even skein/spawn sacs. It definitely will have a good use. Wink

8/2/14 @ 5:13 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Sensitivity is an absolute must! I can't stress that enough. If all the hits came on a straight retrieve, or with a crankbait, it may be different....they don't.

Salmon do frequently hit hard, but they are fast, and anytime one hits coming right at you it will knock a little slack in the line, if you aren't feeling everything well before that hit, you certainly are not gonna even notice that kind of hit very often without a certain degree of sensitivity.

The other major factor is the hits on the drop...don't feel them immediately, and they are gone and you never know you had a hit very often. Some days (most days) as much as 80% of all the fish I hook, hit while the spoon is falling. those fish need to be hit right away or they are gone. These fish will spit a spoon so fast you need to react quickly to have a high hooking percentage.

Another more subtle advantage is the ability to determine currents by the way your spoon/jig reacts, as currents change, so should your retrieve. With sensitive equipment its easy to feel them, and be able to tell when they are changing, either direction or strength, which helps make good decisions with regards to presentation or fish positioning while on the water.

Maximize your fishing experience and use sensitive equipment, without it you miss a ton of bites and, other than those straight retrieve bites, you only really catch the ones that hook themselves...with their bony mouths, a proper, well timed hook-set goes a long way. There are plenty of times where the salmon bite very light despite their ferocious feeding response.

There are 2 reasons why so many cast with braid, the first is obviously casting distance, the second, and just as important, is the added sensitivity and better hook-sets with softer rods.

8/2/14 @ 3:18 PM
rodmaker
User since 9/21/04
We have just what you want in a custom spin rod. Very reasonable rates, great warranty built to your specs., i sent you a PM

8/1/14 @ 8:19 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
For pier fishing, it's hard to beat a good old Ugly Stik. I've been using one for over 30 years. You don't need an expensive graphite rod. Sensitivity is not an issue with salmon. You pretty much know when they hit.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.