LOGIN
Lake-Link

Speed and temp

7/27/15 @ 6:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
User since 8/26/09
I'm in the market for a trolling probe but have heard mixed reviews. My main question is about analog display vs. digital display. I have fished a sub - troll and I enjoy the analog speed dial as it doesn't jump around like the digital speed readout on my graph (1.9, 2.2, 2.0, 2.2 etc.) Does anyone have any input on the fish hawk and the digital readout?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/23/15 @ 7:51 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
Point of clarification: the coated cable from Depth Raider remains the same and is not thicker. Torpedo wire came out with a copper core wire coated with stainless steel that is promoted to replace coated cable. It is more than twice as expensive and has had mixed reviews.

I've seen the old Luhr Jensen speed device and if there were not such drastic under surface currents on Lake MI it would suffice. There were days this summer when I had to go more than 1mph faster one direction vs the other to keep the speed at the ball the same.

Grey Beard

8/23/15 @ 7:32 AM
genek.
User since 8/20/04
I have had the x4 since it came out and the temp probe was replaced once under warrenty which fishhawk was great at exchanging it. no problems since then. the display is stable . dont have to deal with the coated cable .

8/22/15 @ 11:32 PM
Annes Regret
MEMBER since 7/7/11
7/27/15 7:41 PM CST "I'm in the market for a trolling probe but have heard mixed reviews. My main question is about analog display vs. digital display. I have fished a sub - troll and I enjoy the analog speed dial as it doesn't jump around like the digital speed readout on my graph (1.9, 2.2, 2.0, 2.2 etc.) Does anyone have any input on the fish hawk and the digital readout?"

I'm a month late but here's my take. They all work. Back in the 70's we used the old tried and true Luhr Jensen manual indicator based on angle of ball put into the water. We caught fish. This was before GPS's or speed and temp at the ball were available.

A Sub - troll. Fished on a boat that had one but never owned one so I won't comment.

The Depth Raider did have problems with cable coatings. I think the thicker coating has solved the problem. Mine went with the last boat.

The first Fish Hawk's had some issues also. The new X4 is the cats arise.

I'm not sponsored by anyone so my answer is unbiased. You're going to see 1.9, 2.2, 2.0 or as high as 2.7 on any speed at the ball given the currents bounce up and down. More so this year then in the past.

8/21/15 @ 9:16 PM
Westfield Tackle
User since 8/21/15
If you are just worried about your speed I would recommend the old tried and true Luhr Jensen manual indicator based on angle of ball put into the water. Very accurate to adjust speed going with or against the wind and waves. Only around 60 bucks....

7/30/15 @ 5:41 PM
Gunsnbowses
Gunsnbowses
User since 6/17/01
I chose the Depth Raider and have been extremely happy. I use it on a manual rigger and have had no problems what so ever. I was concerned about the possibility of the coated cables being a pain, but after 2 years I have yet to have a problem!

7/29/15 @ 3:49 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
I have electrics so not sure why coated more problems cranking in vs bare cable? I have Big Jon's that have nice big rollers so I've not had a problem with the coated cable and I'm sure mine is >5ys old. I always pivot my Big Jon's when deploying or retrieving the probe. That helps the cable load and unload more evenly from the spool.

I did have a problem with loss of signal >120' down that was due to noisy alternator on my Yamaha kicker. It interfered with the signal and reduced its strength. I got a noise suppressor from Curt Kell that cleared it up.

The Depth Raider has something in their software that dampens the speed readings so they don't bounce around. The drove me nuts on my first Fish Hawk but sounds like they dealt with that issue.

Grey Beard

7/28/15 @ 9:12 AM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08
I also have the X4 and like it. Started with a bad transducer from Cabelas, (not uncommon from what I understand..) but follow up customer service from FishHawk was amazing, and unit has been great besides that. The fish hawk does actually jump around although you may not realize it..... It is programed to take an average over a 20 second period and then display that speed until the next average is calculated. Sounds silly, but in any type of waves or inconsistent current, your speed would be constantly jumping, if it did not work this way.

I chose FishHawk for one reason: No coated cable. I have seen nothing but problems with the coated cable from Depth Raider, and it's a PITA to crank in, if you have manual riggers. Other than that, I think the units are fairly comparable. I can't comment on the SubTroll, as I have never been on a boat with one....

7/28/15 @ 2:34 AM
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I own a Fish Hawk x4 and love it. The digital read out works flawlessly and never "jumps around". In my opinion, the advantages the fish hawk has is worth the additional cost.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.