Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Snag fishing

9/21/19 @ 10:21 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Pike River Outfitters
User since 5/3/08

Posted this in another forum but I’ll share here also . 

I really wish they would open it back up . Lots of fond memories from my younger days . Plus the amount of money it brought to the cities and towns from out of state fishermen was a plus . Now most of the spawners just die and rot away on the banks of the rivers . 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/11/19 @ 11:02 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I read a story from a popular magazine where when the author, then in his teens went to the tributary to toss a spinner. The whole river was jammed with guys but he threaded his way to a small spot on an island that was hard to get to and not as crowded so he could pitch his #2 spinner in a spot not crossed by 30 pound test lines. The big guy next to him laughed at  his rig but watched closely when on his fourth cast he hooked into a silver rainbow instead of a black salmon. After a fight the kid was able to muscle it up the bank where the guy said "Let me help you kid." before he could reach down and unhook his spinner the "adult" stomped the head of the bow knocking the spinner loose. Then he picked up the fish and said "thanks kid", and walked away from the stunned teen. Funny how some still miss the "good old days".

9/29/19 @ 2:57 AM
ktowne
MEMBER since 7/20/03

Me and my buddies snagged along Pike's Creek back in the day. Chaotic indeed. Every year a couple of people would be badly hurt, when a line broke on the opposite side of the river and they were hit by the heavy leaded hook, seemingly traveling at the speed of a bullet.

9/28/19 @ 6:10 PM
Pike River Outfitters
User since 5/3/08

Bugle, no one is saying anything  about it being noble. It is just a way to enjoy the resource. Plus it helps boost the economy. Heck there’s nothing Noble about shooting a deer with a crossbow but people are falling over themselves to do it and acting as if it’s some type of an accomplishment.  Actually a blackeye to the sport of Archery if you ask me. I say bring back snag fishing.

9/26/19 @ 6:52 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I guess you could say that he was local riff raff capitalizing on the out-of-town riff raff. Either way, having experienced the snagging season first hand for many years, there was nothing noble about the "sport" that I ever witnessed. Glad you enjoyed the tourists and had a great experience.

9/25/19 @ 7:06 PM
Pike River Outfitters
User since 5/3/08

Bugle trout , sounds like your buddy was not only riff raft but an outright thief .  

As far as snag fisherman there are good and bad in all walks of life. I meet lots of nice people from all over the Midwest that would come every fall for the salmon run . 

9/25/19 @ 8:48 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I grew up on the Lake Michigan lake shore in the 70's and 80's. I recall that the snagging season really brought the riff raff out of the woodwork. The roads near the rivers would be parked up solid with POS RV's. Guys elbow to elbow on the banks bickering over spots. Cigarette butts, piles of beer cans and other garbage left behind. Constant trespassing on private property. All for a bunch of brown and black half-rotted fish. Snagging was banned because of the introduction of steelhead and brown strains that migrated up the rivers in fall. Glad the "sport" went away. It really was a black eye to good sportsmanship and the image of anglers overall. 

Funny thing tho, one of my buddies would steal old metal shopping carts from store parking lots and sink them into popular holes in the river. I don't remember how he retrieved them but he would pull them out after the snagging season, collect all of the snag hooks and sell them back to the out-of-towners the following season. He really cleaned up some years.

9/23/19 @ 1:36 PM
voldie
User since 2/8/11

Grew up in St.Francis area, used to do a lot of it at the Lake Shore power plant. Was always fun when you got one near the tail area. We used to just use the bottom half of a two piece rod and some heavy braided line. Good tasting on the grill.

9/23/19 @ 10:42 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I've had luck on the Root with reaction strikes. One season it seemed like grey ghost with yellow eyes was the only thing I had that worked. That being said I know a lot of guys that "catch" them with olive woolies. Odd how the kings seemed to like something that matched their skin color so well...

9/23/19 @ 9:43 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

"Flossing them is just a fancy way of snagging anyways and that is about the only way to get them in the tribs"

They are not that hard to catch in rivers.  Just have to fish for active ones coming up that you cannot cast to, not the ones locked into spawning pools.  

9/23/19 @ 9:30 AM
Team Lamboat
Team Lamboat
User since 8/14/11

I believe they stopped it because of all the rainbows and browns in the rivers, so they don't all "just die anyway".

I remember when I was about 10 or so back in the '70s.  My Dad had pick up us kids for his Sunday visit.  On the way to his place, we passed by Pikes creek bridge on KR.  There were about 40 cars parked along the road.  We walked down to the river and it was crazy.  30 lb kings on every stringer as I remember it.  We were watching for awhile and this dude with long hair and an army jacket says "Hey kid... you wanna fight one?"  I said "Sure Mister!"  He cast over across into a deep pool and handed me the rod.  He said "count to 3 and give it a good rip with all your might."  Three seconds later ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the drag was screaming.  I held on for life!!  Finally got it to the bank.  The dude's net  was being used by somebody else at the time, so another dude was wading around throwing peoples hooked fish onto the bank for them, so he grabbed mine and threw it up the bank and down it rolled around a sapling.  It made another run and we worked it back to shore and then he tossed it again on the bank and down it rolled around the same sapling.  so with it double wrapped around a tree, it finally got off.  Anyway, the fish got unhooked, but I was hooked.  I love salmon fishing from the boat now.  This year we had some screamers on that wen't going to be taken alive.  Landed some 25+ fish but pretty sure the ones we couldn't land were big like back in the day.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.