Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Setting Drag...

7/31/15 @ 12:00 PM
ORIGNAL POST
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
How tight do you set your drag when pulling lead core behind boards?

I was setting it just tight enough to get an occasional click on the reel… then if something hit, I had a very easy audible alert. Doing that though, seems like I lost a few fish, and I wonder if it was because I wasn't getting good hook sets, having the drag too loose.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/3/15 @ 2:01 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
I set my drags to point where I have confidence the line wont break. I have found you have some time to loosen beyond that if needed as they pull out slack in line from board.

8/3/15 @ 11:47 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
I generally don't want people fooling with drags once a fish is on so I set them and read the boards.

8/3/15 @ 11:05 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
Setting the drags so light that the fish burns out line like that can loose u fish. It sounds exciting but then there gone. Tighter drags and more resistance at the time of the strike should get u a better hookset right away.

8/2/15 @ 12:26 AM
Annes Regret
MEMBER since 7/7/11
How tight do you set your drag when pulling lead core behind boards? I was setting it just tight enough to get an occasional click on the reel… then if something hit, I had a very easy audible alert. Doing that though, seems like I lost a few fish, and I wonder if it was because I wasn't getting good hook sets, having the drag too loose.

That's called leaking. I'll set mine up to leak then speed up to 2.7 - 3.0 and tighten just so they leak a little. You can always thumb the drag if your not gaining or you're getting close to be spooled. JMHO.

8/1/15 @ 8:03 AM
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
Spoons, but have not been out since changing over to single hooks.

Was thinking the light drag may have been the problem.

7/31/15 @ 7:16 PM
nubbz07
User since 12/31/09
That's how most ppl set em I think. At least everyone I've fished with. Are u loosing fish on plugs spoons or ff? We lost a lot on spoons before we switched to single hooks. Hope this helps.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.