MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Seeking help identifying spoon

8/7/21 @ 8:28 PM
INITIAL POST
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Though not as into Great Lakes Fishing as other fishing styles, the pull of big fish on the large pond draws us out a couple of times a year.  We have had a large portion of our success on one particular spoon and are down to the last one...  I am seeking help on identifying this spoon and information on if the manufacturer is still making them.  At the business end of the lure are two willow blades attached with small spilt rings.  The spoon itself has a slight "S" shape to the side profile.  There is no stamp anywhere on the metal.  The internet has various "close, but not quite" versions.  Any leads would be appreciated.  Thanks and good luck on the water.

Gill

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
7/7/22 @ 9:08 PM
coltpeacemaker
User since 1/28/14

Any luck on that new spoon yet? 

9/7/21 @ 9:26 AM
9/6/21 @ 6:36 PM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Colt, 

Just got off the Akuna website, ordered this and a couple others; Both their prices and shipping costs were really low for this type of product.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of quality they have, but hard to beat their pricing.   

Thanks.

Gill

9/4/21 @ 10:10 AM
coltpeacemaker
User since 1/28/14

Look at akuna willy blade spoon. That's what a Google image came up as. Doesn't have the 7 diamonds but a firetiger that looks same.

9/3/21 @ 3:53 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

...any thoughts of contacting Dorn's? ... it's possible their buyer would recall or point you in the right direction... just a passing thought

....maybe they could post a picture of it on their website or near the lures or checkout

9/2/21 @ 7:01 PM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

PimplySwede, 

They were purchased well over a decade ago at Dorn's hardware in Madison.  The neat thing about Dorn's and other smaller locally owned retailers is that they don't need a large quantity of any given product that would justify setting up a sku or upc like they do in the big box stores.  Just like you eluded to, they can have stock of small start up companies or even hobbyists.  I purchased these the initial year I started to fish on Lake Michigan and bought my downriggers.  

Of any setup I run, almost invariably I will include this particular spoon in the mix.  One was lost on a big fish that ran and ran and just as I was turning the boat to give chase, the line snapped.  If I knew then how productive this lure would be for my particular boat speed, I would have purchased every one in the store.  

Not sure if anybody has tried this tactic or not... but on our next outing I am going to attach some pork rind style trailers made by Fat Cow to various spoons and flies.  Have played with them on the clear water of Rock Lake (Jefferson Co.) and they look like they would be somewhat enticing.

Back to the original lure topic, it is little gems like these that keep me dragging my wife to rummage sales and the like.  There are certain types of lures and older rods with less graphite and more of a parabolic softness that are great for certain situations.   My guess is that if I ever encounter these lures again, that may very well be where I find them. 

Thanks for reading and commenting and good luck on the water.

Gill

9/2/21 @ 12:29 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

You provided some decent descriptions, but wondering what location of the state you may have purchased them, how long ago, was it a nearby bait shop where you launched from or a Wal-mart/K-Mart type of purchase, etc.

If a local bait shop, were they hanging down an aisle with the other mass-manufactured lures, or were they on a rack at/behind the checkout counter (possibly made by a local hobbyist).

8/28/21 @ 5:28 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

I do not know if they are still made but I believe that I had some spoons that were yecks that had those clickers on them

8/20/21 @ 9:01 PM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Fishermen, 

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions;  no doubt there are some close approximations that would very possibly be successful on the big pond.  I have a couple of other colors of this lure that are in different colors that I will be disassembling and then attempting to repaint.   Still searching for leads on and exact match...  For what ever reason this particular one outperforms everything else I offer the fish gods.

I have seen different articles talking about hydrographic flows that fish follow in stalking a particular lure;  Basically using lateral lines and other senses in deciding whether to strike a given lure.   An analogy would be like how a jet plane leaves contrails in the sky, fish are following a "trail" of a lure and having subtle messages triggering strikes.  

When fishing with various partners through the years have noticed that fish are often seeking something very specific in terms of presentation.  (E.G. there were times when even standing or sitting when retrieving a minnow on a jig made a difference when walleye fishing.  The slight change in angle may present differently somehow.) 

Also on Rapala lures for example, I have noticed that the same numbered lure from different lots and year classes fish slightly differently.  Even with very controlled means of production there are certain ones that are completely marred from teeth marks and the same sized lure from a different year having significantly less success (true, the balsa being now waterlogged may effect buoyancy perhaps).

Again thanks for the assistance and if anyone knows an exact manufacturer name that would be great!

"Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis..."       Billy Joel; Downeaster Alexis

Gill

8/14/21 @ 8:06 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Back in the 70,s and 80,s Marathon made a rattle spoon in green red and blue that were go to for Coho and Chinooks! They were a fatter profile than that, but they might have made a slimmer profile like the one pictured.Although never saw one painted in the jack of diamonds pattern!

8/9/21 @ 1:21 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Do a search for the Dardevle Klicker.  See how they compare to yours.

That's the only manufactured lure with the double willow blades I could find while searching, other than some knock-offs.  

With the 7 diamonds on yours, I would guess it's a knock-off of the 5-Of-Diamonds.

8/9/21 @ 7:34 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

If the spoon is somewhat heavy, it could be a daredevil spoon? They are known for double spinners on the 5 of diamonds and others?

8/8/21 @ 9:15 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

My "guess" would be some old version of the Mepps Syclops as they have the slight s-bend you mentioned.

Mepps Syclops

8/8/21 @ 1:18 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I would find a spoon of similar style/shape/action, buy 20 of them along with split rings and small willow leaf blades and make some. Pick a rainy day and drill a couple 1/32" holes on either side of the hook on each one and put the split rings and blades on. You may never find them, especially if they are old and/or were an off brand when you bought them however many years ago. Plus, then you can have increased satisfaction every time you catch a fish on YOUR spoon! Good luck!

ETA: Also, a size reference or measurements would be helpful to assist others with trying to ID your 'lucky spoon'!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE