Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Scaling (cleaning) the fish?

1/16/07 @ 5:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
JDT
User since 6/7/14
I like to scale some of my salmon. I prefer the skin on when smoking or cutting into steaks. I don't like to spend that much time though at the fish cleaning station when there are others waiting in line. Anyone have a device that they attach to their cordless drill? or some other secret for scaling their fish?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/10/15 @ 6:50 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03
I feel if you are going to eat that salmon at it's highest quality you need to remove the skin. Removing the skin removes that thin layer of grey material just under the skin, it is very fishy tasting. Next to improve the fillet you need to remove the red lateral line. This is nerves and fat and very bitter tasting. This is done by the sushi folks.

My wife who never liked salmon at all, now can't wait for fresh salmon on the grill when prepared like this. Spend a little extra time preparing the fillet and the increase in the quaility of the taste is amazing. Give it a try I know you will agree.

Happy eating! Shellfish

5/7/15 @ 12:58 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Only time I want scaled fish is if I am eating the skin. Sometimes I pan sear salmon, in which case I eat the skin, but in general, I just toss it after I cook it. So I never scale it, either.

5/6/15 @ 9:12 PM
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
I grill all my cohos, and never even bother taking the scales off… Not even sure why it would matter… I obviously don't eat the skin either.

5/6/15 @ 1:42 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
I agree with taking the scales off before smoking, the hose works great, outdoors of course, the little lady won't like that in the home.

4/2/15 @ 10:06 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
I don't have access to a hose during cold weather or when cleaning stations are closed, so I use scalers I found @ Japanese Markets like Mitsawa or Uwajimaya. I think they are for preparing Salmon Skin for Sushi, but they work great for scaling whole fish or fillets without having scales flying every which-away.

3/30/15 @ 11:39 AM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06
Gut the fish at the cleaning station and then take them home and use your garden hose nozzle set on jet and start the scaling from the tail to the head. The scales fly off very easy on salmon, trout will require more effort but the scales do come off. Keep the hose nozzle about 10 inches from the fish.

Good Luck

SS

3/29/15 @ 7:03 PM
Tie1on
Tie1on
User since 1/29/15
Get a fillet board. Put fish in tail first. use a hose and the scales come right off.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.