MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Rod Tree Quality - All the same or you get what you pay for?

5/7/21 @ 2:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

I just picked up a set of triple trees (used) from MADS Outdoor products and I'm a little unsure of the aluminum tube they use. This is my first exposure to trees in general so I had no idea what to expect, but these seem really lightweight/thin walled as opposed to something kind of beefy like I was expecting. Is this a standard wall thickness for trees capable of great lakes abuse? Or is this the reason they're substantially less than similar looking products?

My plan was to run dipsys off the lowest holder so I was looking for a set that had them more parallel to the water, but I couldn't pass these up at the price. With them all at roughly 30-40°, is that still usable for a dipsy? Or better to be safe and mount a single holder near the base I can run parallel?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/13/21 @ 7:01 PM
mvanhank222
USER SINCE 12/16/13

I have the high seas Dipsy tree it’s a flat holder on bottom then 3 45 planer holders. Good price and I have no issues with the quality. Probably wouldn’t run a mag or wire diver in it though but I have run 3 lead core and a slide diver.

5/13/21 @ 5:09 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

X2 on berts or traxtech versions. Even the cannon or Cisco’s.

5/13/21 @ 12:02 PM
fuzzyfishin
USER SINCE 3/26/07

For the dipsy rod holder I would use berts wratcheting holder. A little pricy but well worth the money 

5/13/21 @ 9:14 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

The base that came with the trees can be used with traxtech/berts tracks, so I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going. Especially since I just learned I'm selling my current boat(s) (anyone interested lol?) and buying my dad's Lund ProV. 

Regarding the get what you pay for, does anyone use the tracks from Das Marine that are quite a bit cheaper?  Dimensions seem to be the same. 

5/12/21 @ 9:11 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

When I run my trees the top 2 are boards. Mine are plenty strong to hold dipseys on the btm, but the angle is all wrong. However, I run traxtech tracks, with a solid 1/4” alum backer so they are mounted very solid. The trees have no slop in the tracks. I would agree with the comments of how they mount to the boat. Make sure they don’t move at all.

5/12/21 @ 8:22 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER SINCE 3/20/02

Hockeyguy - If you are only running 2 boards per side run them the top and bottom of the 3 holder tree. Separation helps prevent bad things from happening.

5/12/21 @ 6:41 AM
wldh
MEMBER SINCE 3/14/08

Theirs a big difference in trees but probably the most important part is the mounting at the bottom where they attach to the boat also adjustably is really nice, also easy removable,have been running big johns on present boat for 19 years no problems, you get what you pay for .

5/11/21 @ 2:39 PM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

I assume you run boards too? Do you run them in the top two holders? Or do you go top and bottom?

5/11/21 @ 1:35 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

I have been running my trees about 2 yrs and I like them very much. I do however run my dipsey on a downeast in back of the tree so I can get more horizontal to the water and stay locked in.

5/7/21 @ 8:42 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

Agreed use the trees for boards and if possible add a couple more stout rod holders that can be adjusted to a more horizontal position as stated wire rods and magnum dipsys put a tremendous amount of pressure on the holders and rods also use some sort of leash to keep your rod from being pulled out of the holders when a big king hits it can happen trust me lol 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.