SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

ROD HOLDERS

6/9/17 @ 4:41 PM
INITIAL POST
taimen
User since 10/8/09

A buddy wants me to run my gear off his boat, i'm worried the plastic rod holders(walleye) won't handle PP dispys let alone wire. one angry king and I loose a set up, NOT a good day. Am I over thinking this ?

I bought Great Lakes holders for a reason, RIGHT.

thx, be safe

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
7/11/20 @ 12:02 AM
Minfam
User since 2/16/20

I use my regular Scotty rod holders for dipseys, 10 color lead, 300 copper on my tx 44 boards and troll for musky too.  Never an issue in 22 years of using them.  If I had to troll with a downeaster I wouldn't troll at all.

7/10/20 @ 1:14 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I also run triple trees on trax. I put a full 1/4” alum plate under mine. I wouldn’t have any issues with running a dipsey on mine

7/10/20 @ 11:58 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

My triple vertical trees are in my Traxtech 6' tracks. The tracks have backing plates at each bolt. Talk to the manufacturer about your specific boat model.

7/10/20 @ 11:55 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Can it be assumed the triple rod trees can handle dipsys? What about two? I would imagine something like a rod tree needs some kind of backing plate underneath. What do those of who run them use? Does anyone go pretty beefy and mount a top and bottom plate? I'd hate for an investment like that, plus all the gear, wind up peeling away from the gunnel lol.  

7/10/20 @ 8:40 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I have run both Scotty rocket tubes and traditional with no issues. However, i do not run those for dipsey. I prefer the down east holders I have for my dipsey rigs. Also, I upgraded all my bases to the new ones that have a button that locks them in so they can not come out until the button is pressed.

7/8/20 @ 5:05 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Stuff happens.....I had a scotty that would creep out of the socket in wavy  conditions and let the rod swing back freaking out my friend P.K. Turned out shimming it from underneath with washers bringing it closer to level corrected the problem. I understand why putting a ten foot wire dypsy rod in a plastic holder seems a little dicey.

7/8/20 @ 3:45 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I'm assuming most of the discussion about Scottys is related to the cradle style. Does anyone use or know of someone who uses the Scotty rocket launcher/tube style for Dipsys? The cradle style probably wouldn't work on my boat due to the seat configuration. 

6/11/17 @ 1:36 PM
Misdafew
User since 6/30/06

I use Scotty rod holders for my dipsys with 9' rods set @ a 90* angle. They are plastic and have had them for years with no issues. Back the drag off a little and let the fish take line to make it easier to get out of the rod holder. Works for me!!

6/10/17 @ 7:56 PM
leopolis32
User since 3/27/09
I use scotty rod holders. Set the at a 45 degrees to the back of the boat. Set loose drag just so the dipseys do not creep. You will be fine. I haven't broke one yet.. plenty of nice kings caught on the scottys.
6/10/17 @ 5:27 PM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

I wouldnt recommend it. I set my dipsy drags to just creep and have had some fish hit so hard I could barly remove the rod from the aluminum rod holder cause of the load the fish,dipsy ,peeling drag put on it. 

6/10/17 @ 2:38 PM
taimen
User since 10/8/09

so the rod holders are Scotty's, are these good enough? loose drags of course. i'm just  looking for  an informed opinion. thanks to all

6/10/17 @ 8:26 AM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11
I wouldn't. I use the Track Tech rail system. The plastic rod holders are fine for eyes but not salmon IMO. Track Teck isn't the only good rod holder on the market. Big Jons are good solid rod holder also. Again JMO.
6/9/17 @ 6:50 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

You would probably be fine if they are quality holders. Although, if you did lose a rod because a fish ripped the rod holder off the boat, what a story. Way better than any slimy fish. 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE