LOGIN
Lake-Link

Recommendations for new fish finder electronics with GPS for salmon fishing

4/12/18 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Team Lamboat
Team Lamboat
User since 8/14/11

I'm going to get new electronics for the Lamboat this year.  Would like GPS and Lake Michigan maps capability.  Under 1000 bucks would be nice since I don't want the electronics worth more than the boat ;)  What do you have or recommend?

Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/3/18 @ 12:14 PM
Team Lamboat
Team Lamboat
User since 8/14/11

Thanks Blackbrd and Smeylink for the recommendations.  I bought an old boat for the salmon fishing equipment.  It has a sub-troll unit... but not sure if it works yet.  But if it does I move it to the Lamboat. No decision yet on the locator.

Thanks!

4/13/18 @ 8:25 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

Find yourself a used hds 5 gen 2. With a chip prob around 400-450. Unless you have vision issues(small screen). Otherwise hds 7. Amazing definition. Easily contributed to increased catches in my boat for last 4 years. Then take the extra money you saved and by a depth raider. DEADLY combination.

4/13/18 @ 9:58 AM
smeylink
User since 2/3/08

Lots of options and new units the prices are dropping for better screen quality so start looking at new units and play around with them and also note what size will fit your location well.  I've heard but haven't dialed in using SI for Lake Michigan Coho / Steelhead bite.  Pro angler friend tells me he can see fish out his sides with it on.  Basically you want a wide angle cone and most do 50/200 or something like that so you can run both or just the wide angle lower hz one to get you the largest coverage.  I can see my downrigger weight on mine for example.  I think almost all have GPS at this time for speed.  What room do you have to mount?  I run a older 899 Humminbird but I upgraded to the longer SI ducer for around 80 bucks more (send in to company with money and they send you the dual HR SI ducer).  Many will tell you a basic one will work for LM and I would agree.  Friends boat is a 90's era one and we catch plenty of fish out his boat.  Making sure the ducer is set right and running clean has more to do with your graph then the screen many times.  

I use my phone and / or Lake Master Chip for inland and LM fishing.  Navionics boating app I'm going to try this year on my smart phone but having your graph as a back-up is a good idea.  Both App and Fish Finder will let me plot course to a hot spot I want to set-up at.  Most will have a basic graph loaded as well in that price range.  The app is 9.99 / year and lots of really good detail and community shared info.  I used in NC on the oceans and told me tide and current direction and speed along with data from different spots on the ocean like wind speed, wave height....  You can run on a tablet as well.  I used the phone version as my tablet doesn't have a GPS chip as it is a WIFI version.  I wanted a back-up and like to run full screen searching for fish on the humminbird but nice to see depth and course info on the other screen.  App also lets me estimate fuel usage based on data I enter to get from point a to b which on bigger boats might be helpful as well.

Good luck!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.