Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Snap weights vs leadcore

3/9/17 @ 7:40 AM
ORIGNAL POST
irishff
User since 1/17/07

If you fish with leadcore as a part of your spread you can end up with a lot of rods/reels in the boat. Has anyone here had any experience with using snap weights in place of leadcore. I'm trying to decide what the better option is. Having a 2, 3, and 4 core or having one snap weight linecounter rod where I can just let out more line.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/1/06 @ 6:13 PM
irishff
User since 1/17/07

Thank you for the insight. Im going to try playing around with the snap weights this season. Especially when the west wind brings the cold water in shallow. 

3/10/17 @ 12:11 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

There are times when I will use dive bombs attached to shorter lengths of lead core to get the depth I want reach. We fish 3 guys at the most, so 9 rods max. If you already have 2 riggers, 2 wire dipsies, and 2 slide divers that leaves room for 3 boards (typical summer pattern/approach for us. There are times when more rods for us just meant more tangles no matter how carefully we would stack and spread our lines. I loathe unnecessary tangles.

I have a box full of 4-12 oz cannon balls I almost never use. They can get quite heavy and act completely different than LC in a turn. I guess I'm just used to what I use and it works out well.

Besides, there is nothing funnier than watching a newbie reel in a 20 lb king on a full core. 

3/10/17 @ 7:01 AM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

Snap weights(4-12 oz.) inside of all my leadcores. How many rods can u run off of a 17' boat.  See how many guys you can pack in X 3.  Most was 18 and still could run more, just no more room for guys.

3/9/17 @ 11:59 PM
fishingfestus
User since 7/23/10

I have over the last three years eliminated all lead core rigs to just two lengths, a 3 core and 5 core.  I may run the 3 core on the outside (15 ft. of depth) and the 5 core inside (25 ft. of depth) or add snap weights as needed for any combination of depths, ie:  5 core on the outside (25 ft. of depth) with 3 core on the inside with a 4 oz snap weight (35 ft. of depth).  Just keep 10' of depth between each lead core or snap weighted line.   I like having the outside line longer than the inside lines to avoid fish hanging up in crossover of lines, but have honestly had no problems if outside is shorter or longer.  I like staying with some length of lead core either stand alone or in combination with snap weights as their is something about the way that lead core moves through the water that appears to get more hits than just snap weights alone.  I carry snap weights in sizes from 2 ozs. - 6 ozs., and it only takes a second to rig them on an OR16 offshore release (release with the pin in the pad to ensure they don't come off).  I run all combinations of lead core and snap weights on walleye boards or standard offshore boards with no problems.  I don't miss the big reels required for long 7 - 10 colors of lead core nor the cardio workout required to reel in that much line with a big fish on the other end. 

3/9/17 @ 10:01 AM
whitey
whitey
User since 1/1/02

Snap weights is all I used last year did well for me. Offshore has a chart.

3/9/17 @ 9:17 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Depends on the situation. Sometimes we will run 3 boards on each side (a 2, 3, and 4 color). So in that case you need all of those at once. I never really fooled with snap weights. There are dive charts for everything now so I'm sure that they would work fine. It is something else you have to remove from the line so that can be a pain. 2 colors of lead core costs about 4 bucks. A snap weight and good OR-16 clip is more than that. Not saving any money that way. Mono rods can be adapted multiple ways with different weights so that is a plus I guess. Pluses and minuses to both.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.