LOGIN
Lake-Link

Planer boards, fish pulling them under!

8/8/14 @ 11:20 AM
ORIGNAL POST
fishing_time
fishing_time
User since 8/17/13
Need some advice on how or why fish may be pulling my planer boards under the water during a fight. I use the off shore planer board and use the more durable front black clip they sell separtately. 5 color lead core with 50# power pro backing. I let 5 colors out and clip board to power pro. I do leave the small amount of slack they recommend between the front clip and back clip. The back clip is the new style with the small pin in it, which I put the line behind. They claim with the front clip they sell separately and the new "pin" style back clip you are not supposed to loose the board. I can say I have not lost a board, but my problem is bigger fish are pulling them under!! What happens is they lay over on there side and if the fish decides at that time to run while I am reeling, the board then acts like a diving plan and goes under!! I have had to dip the rod back or let line out for the board to re-surface. Sometimes if the fish went on a big run, I have let out 30 ft of line to get the dang thing to resurface. I am worried I will loose fish when letting out slack..

I have heard some folks move the back clip location from side of board to back or leave the flag down to help the ride of the board?

Most of my problems were in calm water, so rough waves havent been the cause of this.

Any tips or tricks for me to avoid board/lead core pulling my boards under?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/1/15 @ 9:18 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Might have to try that. Has anyone modified a church board with an OR16 clip on the rear?

5/30/15 @ 9:02 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
To keep my walleye boards from sliding back I just put a couple wraps around the pin.

5/30/15 @ 1:12 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I love my offshore planers, using the OR-16 clip to pin the board to the line after the fish pops the front clip. No worries there. I do however have the church walleye boards and wondered how to set them up to NOT slide down the line after the front clip releases. As you all know, the line is placed behind the sliding pin in the back, and allows the board to slide down the line. I hate fighting a large fish and the board all the way to the net. Thinking of trying a rubber band doubled over the line and tucked behind the pin so the board stays put and then just reel the rubber band right onto the reel. Any thoughts?

8/9/14 @ 10:01 PM
mantyfishn
mantyfishn
User since 4/13/12
Like Boscrowe said Front clip and swivel for the back. The board slides down your line and virtually can't be submerged. You can find this setup on the yellow piece of paper that came with your board.

Just make sure you put a larger swivel or some guys use a small split shot ahead of your lead line to stop the board before it gets to the fish. The board may otherwise nock it off the line.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/photos/yellow_bird_planner.jpg

Kind of like this but with an offshore board.

8/9/14 @ 11:43 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
I don't recall losing any fish that have submerged one of my Off Shore boards. Granted it is a PIA when it happens but sounds like you did the right thing to get the board back to the surface. When I get a bruiser like that on I often slow down and turn towards the board to decrease the pressure. If it has taken a ton of line out I've found it to be over all faster to clear the remaining boards on that side so I can turn on the fish. I try to keep it to the side of the boat until it's about the same distance from the boat as the boards still fishing then I straighten out the boat.

I do modify my Off Shores. I remove the flag as it's just more drag if the board is submerged. I move the rear attachment point to the rear about 1" from the bottom. This helps the board carry the additional weight of lead core or copper. I have the OR 16 red with pin in the rear and the OR 18 Snapper on the front. I prefer that my boards don't release. The exception is early coho because they are sometimes not strong enough to center the board after a hook up. Then for my outside board I put the orange release on the front and attach after putting a couple of loops in the line. I have either an OR 16 or OR 18 on the rear.

Finally count your blessings because many of us have not had our boards pulled under often this year.

Grey Beard

8/9/14 @ 12:45 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
Orange clip in front and red in back. Twist up the line around your finger and pinch it in the front orange clip. Any good fish will pull the line out of the clip and the boars will center in your spread. If it goes under water it will be very temporary and only because of a big run. If you have a small fish on and it doesnt trip crank up the slack and give a quick tug and it will trip and center. The board wont come off, rarely dives and u get it straight behins the boat. Simple and effective.

8/8/14 @ 3:29 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
I run a front clip and then a swivel snap for the back . Orange clips work the best for me on braid . And blk for mono .

8/8/14 @ 2:19 PM
fishing_time
fishing_time
User since 8/17/13
Anyone else have any comments on modifying an offshore tackle planer boards back clip location?

The local tackle shop mentioned something amount moving the back clip from the side to end of the board and locating an inch or so closer to the water. I would think this would make the board ride more nose forward/down. Seems like bad idea, but maybe once a fish is on it would then help?

8/8/14 @ 12:05 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05
point your rod down and away from the board when reeling. so if the board is out on the right side (facing out the back of the boat) then put your rod tip down and to the left.

learned this earlier this year on a charter boat. should help keep the board above water and help bring it back to the surface if is does go down.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.