Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Perch off Milwaukee

6/13/18 @ 7:00 AM
ORIGNAL POST
JimLi
User since 12/20/11

A long time ago the perch off Milwaukee were big and plentiful. Then they got fished out and DNR put a moratorium on perch fishing.

Have they ever lifted the moratorium and can the perch be found off Milwaukee?

I have 2 very young grandsons that I would love to show them perch fishing and they live near Milwaukee.

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/13/18 @ 7:36 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

They are still out there. But not in great numbers. They were always available to catch. Just had the commercial fishing closed and the season for them closed. They get some under the hoan bridge still and off Mckinley pier. Last time I caught my 5 were at the boils about 7 years ago. Big ones. Gobies are a massive pain when fishing for them though.

6/13/18 @ 9:16 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

From my understanding, perch fishing was closed back in the 90's for commercial fishing only. You have always been able to sport fish for them I believe.

That being said, I went perch fishing on the big pond once while I was in college about 7 years ago. We caught some nice sized perch, but not many. And it was a very small window. Never fished it back when it was a gold mine but I'm told it is nothing like it used to be.

I read an article awhile back about the resurgence of the perch population in 2015 being the highest it has been in years so there is hope!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.