MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

"Must have" tackle for Milwaukee harbor....suggestions?

9/16/14 @ 12:37 PM
ORIGNAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10
I have an opportunity to fish Milwaukee Harbor with a few friends in a few days. This is a totally new experience for me. Can anyone suggest what kind of tackle would be good to have along? spoons? cranks? etc? Thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/17/14 @ 8:32 AM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10
denesox.....thanks for that info .... I'll take the time and effort to get that done

9/16/14 @ 10:57 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
When fishing cranks for salmon, its imperative that you replace the hooks with better, stronger ones, don't and you're asking for heartbreak. Chinook will test every part of your tackle and if there is a weak spot, they will quickly expose it.

Bring a hook hone/sharpener, lots of rocks and mussels to roll the hook tip, and with the hardness of a Chinook's mouth, you need to check often to make sure they stay sharp.

Any reel you have should be able to hold a good amount of line, full spools...and quality line as well. They are capable of very long, repeated runs that will test your drag system, if its not perfect, they will likely break you off very quickly. There's no fish in the state that can maintain long sustained, REPEATED runs, like a Chinook will...none!

If you are using braid, make sure you have leader material, 10-14lb, preferable fluoro.

If you don't have long rods made for this type of fishing (which help immensely), bring rods that are not too stiff. I see a lot of newcomers to Chinook fishing trying to use flippin' sticks because they are the longest rod they have. A rod with a good bend is far more important. Before I had my species specific rods, my best rod for LM was a 6'6" jerkbait rod that had a moderate action. The bigger the bend the rod is capable of, the better to keep them buttoned up. Too stiff of a rod and these fast fish can take that bend out in an instant, and the next thing you know you they got that touch of slack and are off the hook.

9/16/14 @ 6:58 PM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10
Jzzz. thanks... I will visit the local tackle shop tomorrow .... are you tieing right to the line or do I need wire leader?

9/16/14 @ 5:10 PM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
jigging spoons, castmasters, krocodiles, ko wobblers, darter jigs and gulp minnows in pearl or alewife color, could try some #9 flicker shads too but most of the bigger kings this fall are bending the hooks on them,junk. that should get you going.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.