SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Meat rigs

1/16/16 @ 2:30 PM
INITIAL POST
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02
First off I check prior posts and didn't see this titled... If I missed it sorry. I plan on using these for the first time next year. Kinda got back into the salmon swing the last two years..just want to expand my offering. Any tips or things to do or not to do would be great..thanks in advance.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
7/3/21 @ 10:36 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Amen grey beard....

7/3/21 @ 9:18 AM
netloss
User since 8/4/03

I am not sure which head is on your Big Weenie meat rigs but we ran mostly strips on ours. The meat rig was good for a couple extra fish many times mid-morning when things slowed down. Steve Selio(sp?) in Green Bay seels herring or did the last time I checked.

1/22/21 @ 8:03 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

+1 on musselheads.  I use ballyhoo strips.  Run them on dipsies, riggers, Lc/cu normally behind 11” flasher or rarely naked.  Very easy to use and very productive.

1/21/21 @ 8:08 PM
SalmonRecon
SalmonRecon
User since 7/8/17

I didn't want to start a new thread so I am just going to piggyback off of this one. I have been using Brad's Cut Plugs for a few seasons now without any success so I am going to make the switch to meat rigs this year. I was looking at Musselhead rigs simply because they do not require tuning but has anyone had any success with these or recommend another brand that may be better? I would just like to buy the heads and tie the teasers and leaders myself. I have done a lot of research on how and when to run them but have not found a lot of suggestions for which brands may work better than others. Would appreciate any input. -Recon

5/21/19 @ 8:25 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

Thanks Shellfish. If he or anyone else provides me his or her email address in a PM I would be happy to send them a word.doc that describes most of what I do with Brad's cut plugs. 

Sure would like to see this terrible weather improve so we get some decent action in WI. I've never waited this long for initial outing.

Grey Beard

5/20/19 @ 9:12 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Hopefully my buddy Greybeard will respond on using the brad baits.  He has used these baits for a number of years .  He has studied, experimented and tried multiple applications of these baits and has developed a solid pattern that works.  

He also  is very good at explaining how to use these patterns.  This helps folks unfamiliar with this technique to transition easily into new methods.

Good fishing,  Shellfish

5/19/19 @ 11:11 AM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01

I heard anglers ave in sheboygan has some. I would call first.

5/19/19 @ 9:37 AM
NEVER GIVE UP 2
NEVER GIVE UP 2
User since 6/7/10

I am a few seasons in and I love salmon fishing. I want to add another layer to my trolling gear. I live in the Milwaukee area and I have checked the fishing hole.They do not carry the cut strips. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE MEAT STRIPS? I dont want to order a whole case online because I would like some variety. Especially starting off I dont want to be stuck with one type of herrinig....ect. Little help please!

7/20/17 @ 8:56 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

Decided to get some meat rigs from gander 50%off.  They are the big weenie brand and I was wondering if I can run ballyhoo strips on them even tho they say whole meat rig?  Or do I have to use whole herring?

4/25/16 @ 8:55 PM
Musky_36
User since 4/27/02
Any other thoughts
2/14/16 @ 8:17 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
When using 8" spin doctors I just use them out of the package. If you're using a larger paddle I believe they need to be lengthened a bit.
2/10/16 @ 7:25 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Soon enough mark!
2/10/16 @ 3:15 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
We run meat a far amount of the time but usually are using the strips and rigs designed for them. Most of the bait shops have a pretty good supply of rigs. We always run it behind a flashers, either Spin Doctor, Stinger, or Big Weenie. Coppers usually get the most meat rigs but last year we experimented more with putting it on a wire diver and it was our best set up at times.
2/10/16 @ 8:06 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
Get a kayak, Robbollio! Although, I used to be able to point to gas prices as a big reason to fish from a kayak. There goes that. The thing I like about fishing from a kayak, is that I get to fight every fish I hook up with - I'm selfish that way.
2/9/16 @ 10:52 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Brads cut plugs. So much easier. I run them naked. I gotta get a new boat....
Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE