LOGIN
Lake-Link

Loosing Fish

6/30/16 @ 7:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Morning ; I Changed my deep diving Slide Divers to Power Pro Added Snubbers and Flourocarbon leaders . Since I am loosing a lot of fish mostly Kings . Any Ideas what I am doing wrong ? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/21/16 @ 7:19 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

I have started using 1/0 stinger hooks on my spoons and believe me it makes a difference. still loose a few but not as many.

7/21/16 @ 12:55 PM
Fly Meister
User since 8/12/13

Make sure your hooks are sharp! I use a small hook file on both sides of the barb - it should grab your fingernail if you drag it across. Also, I switch all all the hooks on spoons and flies to Gamakatsu. Hope this helps!

7/3/16 @ 2:13 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Clearly the kings you're hooking just have loose lips and should stop horsen around.

7/3/16 @ 1:53 PM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

I am not running a long leader 4 ft 12inch  snubber . I think the fella who said to loosen Drag has got it , I think I am horsen the Fish . Last King I boated with Wife took 15 to 20 Min That 1 I got in I let him run more . I Fish mostly alone , Steering a 21 ft Trophy and fighting a King can be interesting . Thanks I think I will go with the drag thing . 

7/1/16 @ 5:02 PM
leopolis32
User since 3/27/09

I only use a 6ft leader of florocarbon, Swivel, bead and diver on the braid.. You do not need a snubber on a slide diver. Just use the plastic tube for the braid instead of the wire one.

7/1/16 @ 6:46 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

When are you losing them? I will assume most of them are lost on the initial strike before you can get the rod out of the holder.

I  set I drags just this side of the leak. If I speed up or turn I will hear the clicker.  If the fish is hooked up I will back the drag off a A little more to let them run and not tear out the hooks. It also makes it way easier to get the rod out of the holder.

For me dipsy hook up rates are never as good as downrigger's. Since doing the above my hook up rate has improved nicely on big fish.  

I first saw that technique on a tournament video. At first It is hard to remember to do when a big fish is pounding.  I almost have to tie my fishing partners one hand behind their back to get them to remember. 

6/30/16 @ 11:49 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

With a slide diver - you dont need a 30Ft fluorocarbon leader.  You can put the diver on power pro, so you only need about 3-4 ft. 

6/30/16 @ 9:12 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Are you running power pro to a leader? If you are running to a long mono leader say, 20 feet or 30 feet, you may want to actually take the snubber off. Way to much stretch and not good hooksets.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.