MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Long line spread

3/16/22 @ 10:25 AM
INITIAL POST
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

I was wondering how to properly space a set of either lead core or copper lines relative to each other’s length. Say for instance your outside board is a 5 color, and inside board is a 7 color.  I know the 7 color is deeper and hooked fish on the 5 color should pass over if properly behaved. What I always wonder is if backing should be let out on that 5 color to place the lure behind the lure for the 7 color and maintain a “V”, or if that 5 color board should be set right at the backer and run in front of the 7 color lure creating a “/\” relative to the boats transom.  I have heard differing opinions. Is there a “correct” answer?  

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
7/1/22 @ 11:42 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

Think about the double V theory, need a V both horizontal and verticle, that is how I run my spread.

7/1/22 @ 9:06 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

I think Keating knows what he is doing.

6/30/22 @ 1:51 PM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

Fishrepellent, 

Longer leader or more backer before board = same impact.   The gist of my question is should the 5 color bait be behind the inner 7 color bait. Not the board  mind you, that will always be outside & behind,  but the bait. In Keating’s books, the diagrams frequently show baits like this 5 color core example I gave  IN FRONT and above the inner 7 core bait. That is opposite of how I fish, and what I do results in LONG outside lines if you’re trying to get behind a 7 or 10 color inside. Just wondering if there is a “right way”. 

6/20/22 @ 2:49 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Algomaskeeter - Unfortunately, by letting out additional backing, you also increase the depth your LC or copper will run.  Before using LC or Copper, I would use "pump handles".  I would let out 100', then clip my weight...let out an additional 25' and then clip on my outside board.  My next board, I would let out 75', weight, then 50' and board.  My inside board, I would let 50', then 75'... all to keep the \/...and it worked well!  I now run LC and Copper and have struggled with what you're asking as well.  I find I catch more fish closer to the boat, where the "V" is "correct"...  Something I've been considering and will ask now:  What about adding additional leader to compensate for the different distance?  Ex:  Add 80'+ to your 5 color to get it 20+' feet behind your 7 color?  Leader shouldn't affect depth per se and this would get you back to your \/.  Thoughts?

3/18/22 @ 9:34 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Skeeter, 

The board. You want it out and behind the inner board.  Fish hits and it increases drag pulling the board inward.  As for where to place say the 5 color lure relative to the 7 color lure,  you want those to work together. Salmon will come up to the 7 color. If they don’t take it they will turn away and generally up. You would want the 5 color lure behind the 7 color lure or there abouts.  You get this by having the 5 color board behind the 7 color board. This is how dipsys and riggers works together when your running deep as well. Dipsy will be well behind the rigger and higher up.

3/17/22 @ 7:24 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

The release on the board and good horizontal separation between the inner and outer boards will keep 99% of fish from tangling things up. 

Setting your outer line back further will only increase the chance of a fish on your inner board running into your outer line.

3/16/22 @ 5:29 PM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

X-ray- 

do you mean the actual board or the terminal end of the core?  This is what I’m talking about. There seems to be two different opinions just in these answers.  I understand the board will be “behind and outside” on the 5 color vs the inside 7 color. But the 5 vs 7 color on the terminal end is separated by 60’ plus leader length (with the 5 being shorter). So then do you let out 75-100 backer when setting the 5 color to place the terminal end past the terminal end of the 7 color?  I must be really dense because this is really confusing  to me. 

And yes, I’m using sams pro releases and big boards. At least I’ve got something right??

3/16/22 @ 3:57 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Similar to what X-ray said, make sure you are using a big enough board to pull that outside line waaaay out. I put out 20' of backer so I don't have to lift the lead up when bringing the board in and call 'er good. I would not let out any extra line to drop it back farther.

3/16/22 @ 11:44 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I’d add that making sure the outside board is behind the inside board as well. When the fish hits the drag goes way up bringing the outside board inwards. Depending on what your pulling (ff, meat) on the inside board make sure the outside board is well behind the inside board.  Low drag outside board (lc with spoon) can track further out and not behind the inside board with high drag stuff. 

3/16/22 @ 11:31 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Correct!

Also get the Sams Pro releases and set your boards to trip and center, everything clears much nicer.

3/16/22 @ 11:01 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Baring, you let out 50-100 ft of braid backing, the few feet you let out before clipping on your board wont account for much depth change, I let out like 5-15ft of backing usually before the board.

As long as you follow your program of deeper lines closer to the boat and shallow lines away from the boat, you are good.imo

goodfishin!

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE