MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Leadcore and Boards

2/6/17 @ 10:39 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

How much backing line do you run out after your lead core is deployed and attached to your board?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
4/26/21 @ 3:39 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

A good rule of thumb i always go by is each color of leadcore is 10ft long and will sink 5ft of depth per color so I always let out at least ten feet of backer line before clipping on the board so if you clip it too close to the leadcore it will alter your how deep it will run 

4/26/21 @ 3:00 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Yes, I use snap weights to get lead deeper all the time. Most commonly I use a 2oz to get a 3 to a 5 color or a 2.5 oz to make a 5 into a 7 color.

In response to the original question, I let out 20' past the lead so I don't have to pull the lead up when unhooking board with a fish on.

4/22/21 @ 10:56 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Didn't want to create a new thread so I'll ask and then put the previous replies to the original question to use.

I just got two Penn 209s spooled with 7 color to 65 lb braid to 25 lb mono. I also have two empty 209s, a bunch of 65 lb PP as well as 25 lb mono. Opinions on splitting these up to Like a 3 and a 4 (3.5/3.5?) With the 7 down the chute? Or split them both up in some manner so I've got 4?

I was planning to use snap weights prior to getting these, so I'm curious if anyone uses snap weights ahead of lead for greater depth?

2/7/17 @ 7:24 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I also use 5 to 10 feet before attaching the board. I splice in about 100 feet of 30 pound mono between my lead core and braid so I can attach the board to mono rather than the slippery braid.

Occasionally  if I want to get say five color down to around a six color depth I let out 4 more passes which is about 35 to 40 feet on my reel.

This was a good question because I have a friend who typically lets out 30 to 40 feet before attaching the board. Thus he's getting deeper and when you ask him what he's getting them on you have to mentally adjust which color to use.

Grey  Beard 

2/7/17 @ 6:43 AM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

I usually go 5-10 feet before I clip the board on.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE