MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Ideal lead core lb for salmon trolling

5/13/23 @ 2:10 AM
INITIAL POST
madmerle
madmerle
User since 7/20/01

What does everyone choose for line weight on their leadcore rods?  I see 27 & 36lb online.  Is there a consistent favorite?

Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
5/23/23 @ 9:12 AM
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
User since 6/18/01
On our charter we use 27# Suffix Performance leadcore with Suffix 832 Advance Superline 50# as backer.  The leader is 30ft of 20# Advance Fluorocarbon.
5/19/23 @ 9:26 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
We use the Sams Pro release on our boards so the braid makes it much easier to trip the boards once they get further from the boat. 
?
5/17/23 @ 8:18 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
Mono takes up a lot of space on a reel compared to PP so you need to have a much larger reel if the backing is all mono. I splice in a section on  mom to put the boards on then the rest is PP.
5/16/23 @ 11:59 PM
madmerle
madmerle
User since 7/20/01
I know some guys use power pro or other braid as backing.  I wonder why not use a spool of cheap mono for backing vs a $15.00 or more 300 yd spool of braid??
5/15/23 @ 10:19 PM
joebag
User since 3/13/03
I believe that's the Willis knot James
5/15/23 @ 5:19 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
I went with 18# because the lead wire was the same size as in the higher poundage lines and sank better. Flouro leader is 15 #. Haven't tried the newer thin ones yet because the old stuff still works. What's the name of the knot where you pinch off some of the lead  inside the core and slip mono inside the sleave sliding an overhand knot down to cinch it up?
5/15/23 @ 10:42 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Exactly the same as mentioned
5/13/23 @ 4:31 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I use 27# Tuf-line micro lead. Less drag than the regular or a heavier pound test. I use a 20# leader figuring if I were to get snagged or a fish did manage to break off that the leader would give before the lead. 
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE