SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

How would you spend $1500?

2/4/17 @ 10:59 PM
INITIAL POST
J B
User since 3/10/02

I'm outfitting a new 17.5' deep v for inland lakes and Lake Michigan. Right now we just run inline weights on boards or mag dipsys. 

What has been your hot rod the last couple of years? Would you add a rigger or two? Probe? More rod combos like lead core? 

What's your best April/coho setup?

I'm curious what everyone thinks. We usually fish Kenosha to Sheboygan. Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
3/31/17 @ 8:19 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Looks like you have rod holders and run dipseys and boards already.  I would add 2 used manual down riggers.  This allows you to fish deep when the water Temps turn warm, and it's just more fun to fight a fish on a clean rod, than dragging in lots of extra equipment. 

Get a full core of lead and break it into 3 poles.  Make one pole a 5 color, one a 3 and one a 2 color.  If you need deeper on those poles just add clip on weight.  Also the 3 and 2 color can double duty as secret weapon rigs on down riggers.  

A pair of wire dipseys.   These catch fish, and are your 3rd and 4th down rigger when fish are deep.

If you don't have one, you should get a marine radio for safety and info.

If any money is left a temp/speed device would be nice.

3/30/17 @ 10:07 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Jason. I still have and use the handouts from the first salmon class, way back when. I laminated them and are as valuable as the lures I now use. Thank again!

3/30/17 @ 6:31 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

I second that on the cheap stuff Jason. I only wish you could get stuff that would last forever.  I'd be willing to pay even more for that!

3/30/17 @ 12:07 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

You will spend more time fishing than with that hooker.... just sayin 

3/30/17 @ 9:47 AM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

lol blackbird. Yes that would work. You need the notebook. Over the last 7 years of salmon school I have had guys come back and say how much money they saved by doing it right the first time. Like I said in the previous post, everyone has their own way of doing things. But.... terminal tackle and gear should be pretty close to the same for everyone. I always have one word of advice on this. Going the cheap route on things will only cause you to buy it twice when the cheap stuff breaks, ultimately costing more than if one buys decent stuff from the get go.

3/27/17 @ 7:14 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

Jason you are wrong!  $548.50 for a charter and $1.50 for a notebook to write everything down that you learn.  JB message me, can probably help you out.

3/27/17 @ 6:43 AM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11
X 2 as to what Jason said.
2/9/17 @ 7:01 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

I would take $550 of it and go on a charter and tell them you want to learn. I guarantee it will save you 3 times that in wasted gear that you dont and shouldn't need. Obviosly im biased. LOL. Its the truth though. Everyone has their own way and gear ideas. Tough to take it all in and decide.

2/6/17 @ 3:46 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

I just outfitted my 18ft last year.  I would suggest a track system. Really glad I went that route allows you to take the rigger off and add rodholders or whatever.  I have a cannon manual rigger with adjustable boom on a 4in swivel pedistal with Cannon tracks.  Most track systems are interchangeable and will fit others rod holders.  I've been running dipsys on braid and lead core.  Honestly caught most my fish last year on flat lines behind the same offshore boards that I use for walleye.  

2/5/17 @ 3:03 PM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08

Wire dipsys put the most and biggest fish in my boat most trips. Id set two of them up for sure. You can do it fairly cheap using a standard dipsy rod, blood run wire, and a twill tip. Get something halfway decent for the reel though, you need a good drag on these setups.

Next, I'd find a used manual down rigger. If you're just getting into this, and in a 17ftr, my guess is you won't be fishing super deep very often. If you have at least one rigger, you can run a probe. I fought this for years, but finally got one and it absolutely helps. Both eliminates water and confirms speed, even if you think you know how to read your gear. 

Depending on what you pay for all that stuff, you might even end up with a couple hundred to spare. If you do, I'd setup two weighted lines for boards. A 5 color lead and 150 copper are a good start. You can always add snap weights to get them deeper if need be. 

You can cover most of your bases with those rods and throw out some of the other stuff you already have for high lines and such. 

Good luck, but be warned, if you catch the bug of big water trolling $1500 will be just the start of a downward spiral ;)

2/5/17 @ 1:44 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
Scrap the dipsy? Why? On average downriggers are the least effective set up in most people's spread. Just a question, not bashing it at all. 
2/5/17 @ 6:09 AM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

I would get one downrigger or 2 depending. You can find used sets for relatively cheap. A probe is nice, if you can find one cheap. I wouldn't spend a third of your budget on one though. Can add it down the road.

I would get some leadcores. 10 color has been great for me. 5 color was good last year. What I would do personally do a 3 and a 6 and then add snap weights on those for in the between depths. But get a 10 color.

For coho and browns I just run my walleye rods for planers. 14lb mono. Coho is simple with an orange dodger and peanut fly. Purples were good last year. 1/4-1/2 oz keel weights and you set. I also ran a few 6 inch dreamweaver spin doctors in orange and they worked well. I also run braid divers on small dipsys out 15-30 ft for coho. My riggers are down 5-20 ft with the same dodger and peanut fly. Browns I run Rapala J9, J11, and F9, and F11. Browns I pretty much just use planers in the spring.

I would look into wire divers or a wire slide diver with the weight kit on it if you don't have that. Wire seems to produce better for me than braid once I start rainbow and king fishing. We upgraded to full roller rods this year, but ran diawa heartland's with a torpedo roller tip for 2 years with no issues. 

Also for tackle the link below is a good starter; try some meat rigs. I have some of these setups and they do work. Also if you can make it, there is a fishing show in Sheboygan hosted by Anglers Avenue in 2 weeks. Alot of good information can be had from there. Plus some deals.

http://www.anglersavenueproshop.com/blog/2017-anglers-avenue-buyers-guide/

2/4/17 @ 11:31 PM
Sarahtoga
User since 7/21/16

I'd focus on technology that lets you put the odds in your favor, so I would personally add a downrigger and a probe (or a smart troll).

It will allow you to get a clear idea of what the lake looks like under the surface, so you are maximizing your time on the water by running baits at the correct speed in the strike zone.

I don't personally mess with lead core or copper anymore (some guys love it). Adding weights will allow you to put your baits anywhere in the water column with your inline boards (TX-44s for deep fishing).

Let us know what you settle on and how it changes your season!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE