MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

HOW TO MAKE SPOONS Rattle Can Style .( How I made them …)

11/1/14 @ 1:58 PM
ORIGNAL POST
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
I recently was having a hard time making myself buy brand new spoons. Before I started this little project I can see why a simple spoon is the price that it is it takes some work to prep paint and assemble spoons . But if you want to save some money and like to make your own fishing gear its definitely a good way to go . I did learn a few things in the process and thought if i could help any others that wanted to make there own spoons i could share a few tips. 1) I bought the blanks for .20 each ( bought 200 ) which with shipping was $50 2) paint was $75 (but this could be much lower i bought a few kinds that didn’t work well and could have brought this number down to $50 easy) 3)Hooks $28 4)split rings $5 so you can easily make your own spoons for $133.oo or .67 cents each

I found that the DUPLI Color “adhesion promoter” worked the best as far as primers go it works really quick and is clear so you don’t have to paint the entire spoon after priming the entire spoon which is nice when you want to do half color and half silver . I used all different type of spray paint over the dupli color primmer with minimal trouble . But the automotive type worked the best and sprayed the easiest . I used two different types of clear coat and the krylon didn’t work worth a hoot compared too the dupli color acrylic enamel . It sprayed really smooth and dryer very hard . The only down side is the can says that if you miss the 1hr window to spray then you should wait 7days . I waited 1 day and didn’t have any bubbling with this brad . But the krylon clear would bubble on some and not others . Hope this helps .

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/3/14 @ 7:36 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
I used both smooth type and honey comb type of spoons . With the smooth I scuffed them up with 300 grit and then wiped them with mineral spirits then let them dry and sprayed primer on . The honey comb I did the same way and really had a hard time getting the sand paper deep into the bottom of the pattern . So on the second and third runs of spoons all I did was use the addhersion promoter and no sanding and I really didn't notice a differnnce . So I guess in my opinion I wound to bother if the spoon has any kind of pattern but if it's smooth Ilhit it with a quick 300-400 grit and then whop them off just to be safe .

11/1/14 @ 10:12 PM
bigeyes4me
User since 10/1/08
Boscrowe do you have to scuff up the finish on the spoon first.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.