SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

How do I keep by spoons from surfacing?

6/6/14 @ 2:52 PM
INITIAL POST
ethompson16
User since 4/27/10
(I know rookie question) I was trying to run them off a board and flat line out the back. Is there a weight setup that works better or worse to use to try and keep them from surfacing- I wanted them closer to the top of the water column but maybe I want them lower… any recommendations?
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
6/28/14 @ 9:30 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
No weight required with a heavier casting/jigging spoon. A few of us still use Cleos or Crocodile spoons for trolling on the big pond. Lots of good colors and as stealthy as it gets. One tip when rainbow trolling at higher speeds is using larger ball bearing swivels to hook up to your lightweight spoons. I've also heard 100% flourocarbon is heavier than water. If you use mono try flouro instead.
6/27/14 @ 9:59 PM
White Elephant
White Elephant
User since 6/29/01
Snap weights.
6/18/14 @ 11:17 AM
ethompson16
User since 4/27/10
Thanks for the help. Been traveling too much to try these till this week. I run about 150 ish feet out to the spoon from the board, speed 1.5-2.5 depending on day. I tried the inline weights, they worked. still will be tring the lead core. Thanks you.
6/9/14 @ 6:32 AM
quantumleap
PRO MEMBER User since 5/31/07
How far behind the board were you running the spoon? I normally run spoons 100 - 200 feet behind the board and they run fine. Just make sure this board is on the outside of your spread if you arerunning multiple boards.
6/8/14 @ 10:44 AM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
go slower or use some in-line weight. I am guessing using some weight even way in front of the spoon makes the angle of the string approach come from below and not above, helping keep the spoon down.
6/7/14 @ 6:07 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
OR16 offshore red clips with 1-6 ozs of sinker
6/6/14 @ 9:04 PM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
In line keel weights!
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE