SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Great Lakes Salmon Recipes

4/3/21 @ 8:58 AM
INITIAL POST
SUbl
User since 8/11/17

Everyone has a favorite way of cooking salmon, this is mine. Would love to hear more ideas how you make yours!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
6/24/21 @ 7:17 PM
Adamapl
User since 10/21/09

Horseradish glazed salmon.

Start with skinless, boneless, portion sized fillet pieces with the mudline removed.

Lay fish on aluminum foil.

Take a spoon or your favorite applicator and apply a thin layer of ground horseradish or creamed horseraddish from a jar. Coat the upside of the fish to a horseradish layer thickness of about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch.

Place foil and all on the preheated grill to about 350 degrees. Fish is done when the horseraddish coating turns a golden brown.

If you like it spicy, keep in mind the grilling process takes a bit of the kick out of the horseraddish.

Enjoy

5/3/21 @ 8:11 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

We have been cooking our salmon 95% of the time this way for 35+ yrs. Converted many people who don't care for salmon to asking when I can give them some more fish.

Grey Beard

Cajun Hot Butter

3/4#     butter

1 tbl      paprika

3/4 tsp garlic powder

3/4 tsp onion powder

1 tsp     cayenne powder

1 tsp      black pepper

1 tsp      white pepper

1/2 tsp   oregano

1/2 tsp   thyme

Skinless Fish filets cut to the width of your spatula for ease in turning.

Melt the butter and stir in the spices.  Place in a 1 pint jar and shake occasionally to keep the spices suspended as it cools. Use as a baste for grilling fish or chicken.  May store for weeks in refrigerator.

Place fish on a hot well oiled grill at a medium heat and baste with Cajun butter. Let fish cook until it appears to be almost done, then turn using a sharp metal spatula and baste on the second side and cook until done.   Best if not over cooked so needs little time on the second side. 

Add more butter to the fish at the table depending on how hot you like your food.

95% of the salmon we cook is with this never fail recipe. It’s surprising despite all the pepper, it’s not hot to the palate unless you add more Cajun butter at the table. This is a variation on Blackened Red Fish. 

The butter also works great in a fry pan at low to med heat for frying fish or shrimp. I cover the fish while cooking so it takes less time. Take care not to burn the butter.

Next time you need it microwave for about 20 seconds to warm enough to stir. If you heat it too much the spices will settle out.

4/21/21 @ 5:04 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

sorry its 2 parts but watch if you want, my favorite way to make salmon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRykd1QdAUs  pt 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHobzzbThig pt 2 

Goodfishin all!

4/7/21 @ 5:12 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

I like to do salmon strips in foil packs, it works really well with fish in the 10 - 20 pound range. I fillet the fish boneless and skinless, then slice each fillet like a salami, so I get a bunch of strips about 1.5 to 2 inches wide and the full height of the fish. I freeze what I don't need right away, so I can just grab a couple of strips as needed any time. You have to thaw the fish in the frigde overnight if you're stating out with a frozen bit.

Start by pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees.

Lay out a square piece of foil on the counter. Rub the inside with a bit of butter or margarine to lightly grease it, then lay two or three thin lemon slices in the middle. Add one or two fish strips over the lemon. I like to season the fish first, with a bit of salt, pepper and bits of fresh parsley ripped into little bits - do both sides of the fish for best results.

Slice a nice sweet onion and lay a couple of the rings on top. Shallots or green onions also work well.

Now here's the good part. In a measuring cup, mix one-quarter cup of pure maple syrup (the real stuff, not corn syrup or that plasticky Aunt Jemima crap) with one tablespoon of soy sauce and a small amount of minced garlic. Pour a suitable amount of this mix over the fillet, then carefully fold up the surrounding foil so you have a little sealed packet that won't leak syrup all over the place. One pack per person works well.

Place your foil packs on top of a broiling pan to catch any spills, and pop them in the oven. Thinner fillets will be done in around 12 - 15 minutes, thicker ones take closer to 20 minutes. Check for doneness by sticking a fork in the thick part of the fillet and giving a twist, it should flake easily. Serve with corn on the cob, asparagus, baked beans, or whatever you like. 

This works great with salmon or large trout. It's real easy, and the foil pack prevents the fish from drying out so it's pretty tough to mess up and overcook it. You can also do this on a BBQ grill instead of using the oven, which is nice in the summer.

Enjoy!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE