SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Getting Started

4/29/20 @ 6:09 PM
INITIAL POST
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

My buddy just got his brand new 21' boat and I want to rig it up for basic Lake Michigan fishing.  I am thinking 6 rods with 2 being for downriggers, 2 for dipseys, and 2 for planer boards.  I tried watching some videos and didn't find exactly what I need.  Any advice with rods/reels/lengths/line test.  I have only been on a charter boat once and only fish from shore in Sheboygan so real new at this game and just want to rig up something basic.  I have 4-8'6" trolling rods that I think are for walleyes, but they seem to have a fast tip and I think have the backbone to at least work for dipsey or planer boards.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
7/20/20 @ 8:47 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Experience is the best teacher. Give what you have a shot and see what happens. Then report on Lake-Link so others can learn too. You said you went on a charter. It's great to see what the pros do. After going out on my own I went on a charter again and was able to make way more sense of what was going on with rigging and layout and apply it to my boat. Still learning stuff every time I go out with the new normal of reduced stocking, crystal clear water, and lines covered with spiny water fleas popping rigger releases. I'm shifting back to heavier mono line because of the fleas...... never thought that would happen.

7/14/20 @ 7:11 PM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

I can’t see how even running mag dipsys the rigger just drops so much faster it hasn’t been an issue for me. I have had tangled running a slide diver over the wire though

7/14/20 @ 4:06 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

hank222...Thanks for the info.  Does it matter if the downrigger next to it will be running leadcore with a spoon?  Just don't want to get a big tangle with my wire rod.  Thanks again

7/13/20 @ 6:09 PM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

I have never had a problem at 1.5 I am on a smaller boat with 30” rigger booms sticking out

7/13/20 @ 4:13 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Just a question...Anyone know how far off to the side of the boat a dipsey runs based on number setting.  Just trying to make sure my wire mag doesn't hit my downrigger.  Thinking on a 2 setting I should be safe but have no clue how far to the side they run

7/11/20 @ 5:00 PM
calhoon12
User since 2/9/19

I started with 2 lines .one on each downrigger . then i started adding from there .

7/9/20 @ 6:28 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Hockeyguy- I would run two boards and a dipsy if you can on each side. Or run 2 boards on one side, one board on the other, and a pump handle along with your dipseys.

7/8/20 @ 5:42 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

If running FF off of the dipsey I'd run 4-5' leads. Not a subtle or stealth presentation to begin with. Plus you get better action from FF on shorter leads (and slightly smaller opportunity to create a ball of line behind your boat).

7/8/20 @ 12:02 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Getting close to making my first trip out and looking for a few pointers. Planning on running 3 lines per side, with (in order from front to back) a planer board w/snap weight, dipsy (likely a 3 setting and s-biner rig) and then a flat line w/snap weight to accomplish sufficient horizontal spacing between lines.  I've heard you should have shallowest the farthest out (planer board, no problem there), and work incrementally deeper the closer in to accomplish a sort of V shape. However, with how I was considering running them, it would be nearly a W (high, low, high). Am I just asking for problems? Or should I look to move the flat line to the middle and run the dipsy straight behind on like a 1 or 0 setting?

I've never run flashers/flies before but plan to start. With the S-biner rig on a dipsy, I shouldn't have any issues using them together, right?  Figuring spoons on the high lines and FF on the dipsys. 

6/29/20 @ 6:08 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Fished Sunday early afternoon until about 7:30 and went 5 for 6 with 2 kings and two lakers and one small rainbow tossed back. Most action on a orange spoon on a board with wire diver flasher/fly getting a king also. Also lost 5 colors of leadcore when it tangled with my copper rod so I guess the $35 mess is true lesson learned

6/26/20 @ 1:23 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

Easier to catch fish with 6 lines in the water starting out than trying to run more and getting a rats nest!

6/25/20 @ 6:01 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Thanks for the ideas fellas.  My buddy just bought 2 practically new extra planer board rod/reel combos that are cabella's brand already spooled up with leadcore for $30 each as back up rods if we ever put on a couple more rod holders.  I'll see how "fun" it is to work with my current 6 rod setup before we add more rods to the set.  

6/24/20 @ 5:32 PM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

Tackle haven has 4 Okuma combos for $200 they are magdas but are a good way to start I replaced all the drags with carbon fiber from tunas reel troubles for about $8 each but well worth it.

6/24/20 @ 1:52 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Sounds like you have a good start on gear. Remember to relax when $35 worth of stuff snaps off in one second or you are cutting line on a basketball size tangle. It's all part of the game and will still happen no matter how much experience you have albeit less often (don't ask me how I know). Have fun and enjoy the time on the water.

6/23/20 @ 7:30 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

Set your lines trolling with the waves. It will make boat control easier as well as setting up. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE