MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Getting Back in the Game: 6-9 Rod Spread

3/13/19 @ 5:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JigIsUp
JigIsUp
USER since 1/12/06

After not fishing the summer months (mid-June through Sept.) on Lake Michigan for about 10 years I'd like to get back in the game.  I remain confident in my ability to catch early season browns and then coho, but after that bite dies down I'm much less confident.  Can I beg for some advice.

1) I only have 2 rod/reels to designate for copper...how much would you spool on each?

2) I haven't bought spoons or flasher/flys for 10 years....so plenty of glow stuff...no UV stuff.  Are you willing to share your best flasher/fly combos and your best spoons from the last couple of years?  

3) UV - From reading...UV on sunny days and Glow on darker days and early mornings?  Is UV effective in the dark?

4) Wire Dipsys - Always with a flasher/fly?

5) Dipsy vs Slide Diver - Any opinion on what is better on both braid and wire?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
3/14/19 @ 5:38 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I wouldn't do a 300 and 400, you're limited as to when/where you run them.

I would spool a 150 and 200, add weight when needed to get deeper. You can use a standard (45) size reel and they will run about like a 7 colors and 10 color lead. You can stop your cores at 5 color then, I would make a 3 and 5 if limited, weight can always be added there as well.

Edited on 3/14/19 5:40 PM
Post Your Comment
3/14/19 @ 1:39 PM
JigIsUp
JigIsUp
USER since 1/12/06

Thanks...that info really helps me spend my money efficiently.  

Post Your Comment
3/14/19 @ 7:17 AM
Fisher123
Fisher123
USER since 7/6/06

1) I only have 2 rod/reels to designate for copper...how much would you spool on each?

I would say a 300 and a 450 copper would be my 2 main ones. 

2) I haven't bought spoons or flasher/flys for 10 years....so plenty of glow stuff...no UV stuff.  Are you willing to share your best flasher/fly combos and your best spoons from the last couple of years? 

Moonshine Bad Toad RV standard, Pro King Chrome Dragon Slayer flasher, Moonshine Hot Lips RV standard, Moonshine Two Face RV standard

3) UV - From reading...UV on sunny days and Glow on darker days and early mornings? Is UV effective in the dark?

I'll run UV in the dark and catch fish on it. I don't run my whole spread glow in the dark, but the majority of it is. 

4) Wire Dipsys - Always with a flasher/fly?

Last year my best was a Moonshine Two Face RV standard spoon on a wire.

5) Dipsy vs Slide Diver - Any opinion on what is better on both braid and wire?

I run 2 braid slide divers, 1 wire dipsy, and 1 wire slide diver. I like slide divers, but they are a little more work to set up. Get the ultimate kit for the slide diver and you'll have a mag dispy essentially. 

Edited on 3/14/19 7:21 AM
Post Your Comment