LOGIN
Lake-Link

fly rod trolling

4/29/14 @ 1:00 AM
ORIGNAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK. I am thinking about getting some use out of my 8 weight outfit, and wondered if anyone has ever tried to troll with a fly rod for the coho. When they are really in and hitting everything, I thought it would be a very exciting way to catch them, maybe on a large streamer fly. I have an intermediate sink line that I could use to help get the fly down a bit. I would basically hold the rod in my hand and pinch the line until a strike. Anybody try this ever? Any advice or criticism? God help me if a 15 lb brown or (gasp) king hits! What a fight to ensue!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/29/14 @ 3:46 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I've never done it but I've thought about doing it. An option I thought about is replacing the fly line with mono or braid and just attaching it to the downrigger. Or if you have enough backing just let out all the fly line and then attach the backing to the rigger. I don't see it as being much different than mooching that they do on the west coast.

4/29/14 @ 8:40 AM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
It will work. I knew a couple guys that would hire a charter every year to go out into the deep blue in search of surface feeding rainbows. They would troll till they found them,then shut the boat off and cast to them. They said it was a blast.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.