LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fly Rigging

3/14/18 @ 8:26 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Rhino46
Rhino46
User since 7/18/11

Hi, just wondering how you prefer to rig your flies (tournament rig, single hook, double hook, treble only, etc)? And what are the best knots for tying these? Thanks in advance!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/15/18 @ 3:46 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

Keep it simple. For 4" flies just use, I  a gamagatsu 4x treble size 1 or 1/0 and 40 or 50 lb. fluorocarbon. Regular old cinch knot. Depending on fly manufacturer, number of beads will vary. Back of the hook should be at the back of the skirt. 

Reel Sensation Charters
(414) 384.8096
3/15/18 @ 11:42 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I buy my flies pre-tied.  Alot of good options out there and I dont go through them fast enough to really justify buying bulk and tying myself.     I also have no interest in "fixing" crappy flies

3/15/18 @ 10:27 AM
smeylink
User since 2/3/08

4" Salmon files I do the following:

Snell #1 or #2 Short Shank 4x hook like a VMC 9626

I then put 2 8mm beads and snell a 4/0 Single Octopus hook where the bottom of the single is above the eye of the treble hook.

I run 50lb Seaguar STS Salmon FL Leader (STS is much cheaper BTW then many other leader lines).  The leader vs line is for extra whip action behind your flasher/dodgers and is tough.

Then about 3 x the flasher/dodger for length.  What ever length you use keep them all the same IMO.  Then use speed to change the dynamic of your spread.  I run 36" for my 11" flasher and 21" for my 8" flashers and 18" for my peanut coho single treble flies.

Good Youtube video by Capt. Bill Saiff III called How to Snell a Hook Harness for a Salmon Fly- Salmon Tip with Capt. Bill Saiff III

Devil is in the detail.  ;-) 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.