LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Fishing Line question...how much is enough

5/23/20 @ 10:51 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jld
User since 1/21/04
I'm getting back into Great Lakes fishing.  I need to replace the line on my reels.  I've read a ton of discussion on types of line...but don't seem to see anything on how much.  After applying the backing, how much line is usually applied to ensure you don't get down to the backing?  I understand the random King that will take most of your line...but what is customary?  500ft?  1000?  I'd like to hear what you guys think.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/27/20 @ 8:56 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Getting into backing is not big deal if stronger than mainline, one reason I recommend braid because of strength to diameter ratio.   I don’t run backing on my down rigger reels though, just strait fluorocarbon.   You also never need to replace braid backing like you would mono.   Only reason people use mono backing is cost.   There are calculators to tell you how much backing to load.  

5/26/20 @ 7:24 AM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01

A GB said make sure arbor is full. My opinion is a minimum of 300 yds of new mono.

5/24/20 @ 4:53 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

It depends on reel capacity and what you are rigging, rigger rods, dipsys, leadcore or copper. The amount of line on all my setups varies because I want the reel filled to capacity because you get back more line per turn of the reel when it is full. Also remember when you have a big fish on the is taking a lot of line your drag is getting tighter and rather than tighten you should loosen it up and wait until it tires then re-adjust your drag.

Grey Beard

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.