Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fishhawk questions

4/1/18 @ 6:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Caved in this year and added the fishhawk x4 to the boat. Took it out today to see how it worked. First thing I noticed was that it was .6mph faster on surface than gps speed. My question is, do they need to be calibrated? We even pulled up speed on mobile speed apps and it was still running faster. Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/2/18 @ 8:21 AM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

It really depends. Last year we had a lot of currents, which made our probe speed way different than our SOG. Some days they are very close. One thing to remember is these are just numbers, being able to replicate them is the key. One boats 2.1 probe speed will be different than another boats 2.1 probe speed, especially if calibrations are done. 

Depth can make a huge difference also. If your running it 100' down or 50' down, you'll normally notice a big difference in speed. But not all the time.

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to keep your numbers close, but always use you probe number and try to replicate it as best as you can. Hope that makes sense. 

4/2/18 @ 6:41 AM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Thanks fisher. Have you noticed that your fishhawk (probe) reads higher or lower? I’ve obly run gps speed thus far so I am used to staying around 2.2-2.4gps speed

4/1/18 @ 7:44 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

With that being said, we dont calibrate ours. We know the sonar SOG and FH transducer speed will be different since one is measuring a virtual speed and the other is reading an actual speed at a specific depth. 

4/1/18 @ 7:43 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

Calibrating the Sensors–Screen #4

While not necessary, you have the ability to calibrate speed if desired. Remember that due to differences in transducer mounting, no two boats will read speed exactly the same. Calibration is best done when water conditions are calm. Lower the Probe 5-feet under the transducer and compare the sur?face speed to the Probe speed. Press the SET button until the speed reading flashes for the sensor you want to adjust. Once that speed reading flashes, press the UP or DOWN arrow to adjust. Once you’ve adjusted the speed readings to match each other, press the POWER button once to save your changes. Factory setting values are denoted for each sensor by a missing decimal point. If you wish to go back to the factory settings press the UP or DOWN arrow until the reading flashes without a decimal point. The factory default value is always in the middle of the adjustment range. When the reading flashes without a decimal point, press the POWER button once and the factory default will be restored.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.