LOGIN
Lake-Link

FALL salmon/steelhead, targeting 1,2,3 year olds

9/12/14 @ 10:50 AM
ORIGNAL POST
fishing_time
fishing_time
User since 8/17/13
Fall fishing question for all you Lake Linkers. I've been struggling with the fall fishing scene. First, I like to remain focused on 1,2,3 year old salmon and steelhead for just a couple more weeks or until mother nature allows.

Outside the harbor do you have any tips on targeting these fish? When the weather flips a switch from summer to quick fall where do these fish most commonly push to? Are your fall tactics different from the summer?

Ive been all over the reef from 75FOW to 250FOW with limited success as of late. Wondering if anyone thinks pushing out to say, 300, 350, 400 FOW is part of a fall move of these fish? Fished out deep at times this summer, but wondering if in fall they move out? Do some of these younger fish also come in shallow with the 4 years olds?

We all know its called fishing for a reason, just looking for any thoughts or suggestions you may have with fall fishing? I will continue to post and share my info as we finish out the season on my regular reports.

Thanks!

Tight lines!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/12/14 @ 2:01 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Fall fishing can be great - but first you have to understand what's going on out there right now, which is essentially freezing water temperatures.

Fall fishing for 2-3 year olds really isn't all that different than summer fishing (minus the fish size). Same spreads, same target temps. Depth of water is really a function of temperature. Standard summer temps will produce fish as long as they they hold. Right now, the lakes success is very limited by the fact that water temps are commonly being found in/around the 38-40 mark.

Hopefully, we continue to see winds push from the east, in hopes that any warmer water could be pushed in, near-shore. On a normal year (which in case you've been living under a rock, 2014 is not), there would be some great fishing for immature fish and cohos right now.

It is very strange to be sitting in early/mid September asking for warmer water, but that's where we are. We're not going to get great fishing while the water is this cold. I'd be interested in what others think that the cold temps have on even the spawning fish...are they holding out there, are they in the harbor but not active?

Mother nature Smile

9/12/14 @ 12:39 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Can be great fishing in the fall. A lot of times (Algoma) they are out deeper, 200 ft to 500.Good thing is they are usually higher in the water column. 60 or above

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.