MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Downrigger cable clip (or: I must be dumb)

6/27/17 @ 1:22 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

This seems like a simple item, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I want to hook the snap for my Scotty DR release up on my cable instead of onto the ball.

Do they make a simple, small clamp that hooks on to your cable with a loop to hook the release to?

Obviously it would have to be removable so you can bring the rigger up. Something like an off-shore OR-16 red clip with the pin, but made to hold on rigger cable.

See my crude drawing

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/25/19 @ 10:26 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14

I agree with the Black's release.  It sits above the ball and is a simple design that has an adjustable tension setting.  

7/1/17 @ 1:22 PM
leopolis32
User since 3/27/09

Get a blacks downrigger release.. You can set it so it holds your release. They are cheap and work very well if you decied to just use the blacks in the future.. The blacks will work perfect for what u want it to .

6/29/17 @ 2:11 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

You have to remember that sometimes less is more. If you're running a spoon spread you do not need a flasher. If you're going to run a flasher you might as well run a flight behind it. If you're going to run a spoon  then run the spoon. There is no reinventing the wheel here. If I'm running spoons on my downrigger's it's typically because I'm looking for more of a stealth presentation. That's one spoons are at their best. Throwa flasher into a spoon presentation and quite a few times it will shut the whole show down. I highly suggest not doing what you're trying to do. But if you do good luck

Reel Sensation Charters
(414) 384.8096
6/29/17 @ 9:10 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

These are some that clip to the rigger wire.

6/28/17 @ 10:19 AM
Shockers1
User since 4/27/15
This is how I run my down riggers. I hear all the time. Why do u do this, down riggers suck. I have more bites last two years on down riggers than anything else. Use Scotty and two feet up from ball. 100' -150' back with moonshine is killer for me.

6/28/17 @ 8:49 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Thanks for the help...I think my Scotty release came with the stacking clip, but I didn't realize that's what it was for. That will work fine.

The spoons were getting bit more than F/F's, but when I took the F/F's out of the mix, the spoon bite decreased despite having more spoons out, so I want to run a large paddle (no lure, just a big flasher) off the ball and have the spoon trailing behind from the stacker clip just above the ball.

Just a way to get another spoon in the mix without losing the attraction of the flasher. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but I didn't think it could hurt.

Will an 11" flasher still rotate properly without a fly?

7/15/18 @ 11:42 AM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06

Scotty makes a "Stacker Release" that sounds like what you're describing.

Check out Scotty No. 1176 Power Grip Plus

Attach one "Grip Clip" to the downrigger cable, deep into the clip, and then attach the rod line to the other clip.

Good Luck

SS

6/28/17 @ 6:54 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

When I stack a line on a downrigger cable I use Off Shore's OR-2 Medium Tension Downrigger Stacker Release:

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR2.html

If your goal is to be able to bounce bottom with a cannonball but worried you will clog you lure with mussels you might consider something like what I do. I use a Scotty downrigger snubber; https://jet.com/product/detail/72680be2a31f41fba7739c23d9ec6f05?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Gen_Sporting_Goods_a3:Sporting_Goods_Fishing_Fishing_Accessories_a3:na:PLA_783891034_42653248938_pla-292294047509:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=783891034&is_retargeting=true&clickid=f65256f9-292f-4fef-9b05-aa73f366cc79

I attach my Off Shore OR-8 to the top swivel of the snubber so that gets my line about 18" above the bottom.

Grey Beard

6/28/17 @ 6:04 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

A stacker clip will work. Not a stealth thing or a bottom drag...just want to run a flasher off the ball.

6/27/17 @ 9:39 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11

My guess: you're thinking this will add "stealth" to your presentation or keep your bait from bottoming out. I've tried it for both reasons. Not worth it. 

the stealth rationale won't get you bit more. The rigger cable still carries quite a hum and you won't enjoy setting riggers, bringing them up, or adding more math to your day  

and the bottom bouncing is marginal in its impact (in my experience). 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.