MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Down Rigger Releases

1/3/21 @ 3:26 PM
INITIAL POST
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

What is everyone's opinion on which are the best down rigger releases? Using Cannon adjustable releases right now and not very happy with them, they are hard to adjust to just the right tension. Heard of using rubber bands but not sure how that would work with stacking. Was thinking of trying either the Church or Off Shore Releases.

Thanks, Ron

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
7/11/22 @ 11:19 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

My friend who owns a charter boat (Playin Hooky) uses rubber bands and they work well.  Here's how he ties them:

Also, slider rigs on a downrigger this is how he does it: 

7/11/22 @ 10:49 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

So we have a few trips out using our new Scotty releases, so much better than the Cannon Ratcheting releases we were using. Easy to use and so far have worked flawlessly! They have the 18" lead with makes it much easier setting rods.

4/2/21 @ 1:21 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Have used most all of them,  have settled on "Black Marine RC95" by far the quickest simplest and surefire release that I have used.  All I use now.  Super easy to adjust.

1/17/21 @ 8:05 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I use the red OR8 heavy tension Offshore release. You can place the line at different depths in the pads depending upon how far down or the relative size of the fish that you are catching. The pads are replaceable if you are lucky enough to wear them out.

I use a clear snubber in front of my release. Really helps to see shorts because between the length of the cable on the release and the snubber they can bounce and be seen rather than dragging them around all day.

One other trick is if you do have a small fish that does not release I find I salvage more fish if I put my thumb on the reel spool and then drop the down Rigger until the release. Much better than dragging them up through the water column.

Grey Beard

1/6/21 @ 1:14 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

rubber bands..  since the early 80s

1/5/21 @ 2:17 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Chamberlain is one of the best releases I have found by far. Easy to use as well as infinite adjustment.

https://www.downriggerrelease.com/

1/5/21 @ 1:35 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I still use bands, many I know do.

1/5/21 @ 1:27 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I've tried many releases and Scotty makes the best IMO.

Does anyone use rubber bands for releases anymore? I haven't since the 80's. Not sure if I even remember how anymore.

1/5/21 @ 5:36 AM
cohoho
cohoho
PRO MEMBER User since 5/10/07

I’ve never had any cable damage issues. I don’t stack on my depth raider rigger.

1/4/21 @ 8:02 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

So it sounds like Scotty is a good bet, any experience with the self locating snaps? Do they damage the cable?

1/4/21 @ 1:40 PM
cohoho
cohoho
PRO MEMBER User since 5/10/07

Scotty's for sure. I use them for both riggers and stack's. Don't bury the line into the release. Put it around the line and they work great. Small adjustments after that depending on line, tension, etc. The little Scotty releases work great for planer boards (leading clip with red Off Shore on the rear) when using 20# or bigger line. I bury the line on these one's. When I go to Erie, I put the orange Off Shore's on the front as they work better for 10-12# line.

1/3/21 @ 11:15 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11

I like the scotty releases.  Easy to use especially if I have someone that is not that experienced clipping it in.  

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE