Lake-Link

Depth Raider prone insulation ideas?

3/29/15 @ 8:53 PM
ORIGNAL POST
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Hey guys. Hoping for some help.

Installing a new raider probe. I refuse to use the factory recommendations to tape the top terminal. I use the drilled out big Jon terminator method. In the past I've used liquid electrical tape, which has worked well but makes potential maintenance challenging.

Has anyone figured this out? What products, methods, or brands are guys using to successfully insulate the darn thing?

Any help is appreciated. Next time I win the lottery I may be fish hawkin.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/15/15 @ 11:02 PM
Educator
User since 9/18/01
Evening Everyone. I just purchased a depth raider. I'm struggling to install it correctly. I'd gladly pay someone to help guide me. I live in Muskego. I believe I have everything. I stopped in at R&R and he helped me with what I would need. Give me a call if you're willing to help me out. 414 510-2317. Thanks!!

4/8/15 @ 11:15 AM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Thanks to everyone. I certainly learned something here. I was incorrectly under the assumption that the exposed stainless on the bolts/terminal/nuts when using the klincher method would kill the signal. sounds like im wrong

I'm going to give it a try without the tape. I'd love to be able to remove the probe after each use. I always thought that was a bad idea because I'd lose signal.

4/8/15 @ 8:04 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
I use the clincher and don't cover with tape.

What surprised me about the clincher is I thought it would be fool proof. However, twice I've found a couple of broken strands where the cable enters and had to re-do. So from time to time I'd be checking the cable integrity.

Grey Beard

4/8/15 @ 5:45 AM
YonkerS
User since 1/28/13
Luckylou-

I don't experience any signal loss to my temp probe using the the Walker Terminator release & no insulation, but then again the amount of exposed/bare cable is very minimum.

I also wasn't experiencing any signal loss with the Tru-Trak Klincher, I just wanted an all-in-one setup so that's why I switched.

4/7/15 @ 5:35 PM
drslyr4
User since 3/9/04
I use heat shrink the heavier glue type and crimp the end with a cable crimp holds up real good. if there is an issue then use water proof plumbers tape. just make sure you check all of the cable as any area with a crack can cause problems.

Drslyr

4/7/15 @ 5:23 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Yonkers,

Do you have any signal loss without insulating your connection from the water?

4/7/15 @ 11:02 AM
YonkerS
User since 1/28/13
Another vote for the Tru-Trac Klincher probe connection, but I've substituted the Klincher with a Walker Terminator release.

The Walker Terminator release is basically a Klincher combined with a Black's downrigger release.

4/4/15 @ 6:21 PM
Fishercreek
User since 10/2/05
Silicone seal tape works quite well. It is self sealing and stretchy so you can get a good seal when it adheres to itself in the wrapping process. It is supposed to be water and air tight. It works on industrial electrical applications prone to getting wet and oily, and certainly seems to keep out water from pressure washers.

4/3/15 @ 9:48 PM
justducky81
User since 7/7/10
I have always used the factory tape or when I am short on that, Seal Wrap, the only place I found it is at Wally World. I've had the probe down 150 plus and still got signal.

3/31/15 @ 10:07 AM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Well.....sounds like another year of liquid tape!! Thanks guys, just wanted to verify my method.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.