SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Copper back spoons versus silver

9/7/20 @ 4:16 PM
INITIAL POST
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Just curious since I only bought spoons with silver on the back, but is there any reason for it?  I know for walleyes they say overcast use more natural spoons and on bright days use bright colors.  I plan on buying some more spoons over the winter and wondering if I need to invest in some copper backs.  Thanks

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/19/20 @ 8:27 PM
honky donk
honky donk
User since 6/3/09

Gold is also good for overcast days.

9/7/20 @ 10:21 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

In winter and early spring for browns and cohos, I use exclusively copper plated spoons. I’ll drag one occasionally in May, June or July for cohos or bows. If I’m targeting kings, I’ll only use chrome. 

9/7/20 @ 6:14 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Yes sorry I meant chrome plated.  I just was wondering if people used a lot of copper toned spoons on Lake Michigan for the back of the spoon color.  

9/7/20 @ 4:46 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

You have to be careful when you describe a lure as “ silver”.  Most spoons are chrome finished and their ability to flash is greatly diminished as the lure is lowered into deeper water.  A spoon that is actually SILVER plated will retain its flash at a much greater depth .    Copper spoons will give off more flash in off color water than a chrome plated one.  I don’t own any spoons or ice jigs that are chrome plated,only copper. when I fished the “big” lake I only used spoons in a 2 tone finish . The only spoon type lures That I know of that were genuine silver plated were the Johnson Silver Minnow and the Doctor Spoon but that’s is no more. Now they’re chrome plated.  There is a company on the NW coast that sells Silver plated spoons. I make all my own ice jigs and they all have copper or gold plated backs.   BUT  to each his own. CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE