MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Chances for Lake MI Salmonoids for a novice

6/17/20 @ 3:05 PM
INITIAL POST
HappyNorseman96
User since 1/19/14

Lake MI Salmonoid anlgers,

I am wondering what my chances of success are for fishing lake Mi. I have never fished for salmon or trout on lake MI without a guide before. I have one lead core rod and down-riggers which I have used for lakers on Superior and in Canada with moderate success so I do have some experience. What do y’all think the chances are that my group and I could get a few fish in a half day of fishing this June. We would go out of Milwaukee or Port Washington.  I’d appreciate any input y’all can give me, I really want to know if this would be worth it. 

Thank you!

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
7/1/20 @ 2:46 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I've found that I never catch them on shore.  :)   With that said, get out there and experiment...  What works for others doesn't always work for me and vice versa.   However, what does work for others is always a good starting point!  Also, I started out using a few lines with the same set ups ("pump handles" and they seemed to bring in a couple of fish each time).  I have learned to not be so critical of the depth and variety of presentations, depths, colors, etc. to start helps my success rate a lot.  If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help you (no expert by any means, but seem to catch fish each time)

Good luck!

6/30/20 @ 8:05 PM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

How far do you guys run your lures behind the ball

6/30/20 @ 12:10 AM
HappyNorseman96
User since 1/19/14

(just seeing the replies now) Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate it. 

6/22/20 @ 8:35 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01

right now riggers down 30 to 69 with f/f are working from 90 to 240 fow. I would say sporadic, not hot n heavy but you can catch a few quality fish 4 of the 5 specie.

6/22/20 @ 1:35 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I'd say your odds are better than not being out there. Obviously fishing is fishing, but it seems there have been quite a few decent reports. See what programs others are running and go from there. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE