Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Big Planer Board help

1/15/19 @ 1:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I've been trolling the big lake for a few years now and slowing upgrading as I go.  I currently have a set of dual planer (1" x 6" x 24") boards now, but they can barely handle 2-3 lines with snap weights.  I'm looking to build some new, more agressive ones, but in the hours of research, can't seem to find "the best" option.  Some of the questions I have are:

- 2 vs 3 board?

- why does 2 board desigen have staggered back and 3 have even back?

- 6", 8", 10" or 12" boards?  (does it matter if 2 or 3 planer design?)

- how much does the length determine the pull of the boards?

- why do 2 planer designs have adjustable spots for the eye bolt but the 3 planer designs don't?

- why do 2 board designs have rods in various locations, while 3 board design has rods located down the center of each board?

- why wouldn't everyone want to use the hardest pulling board?

- anyone have plans that I can use to make my new boards?

Thanks for any help.

~ Fishrepellant

DISPLAYING 11 TO 14 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/16/19 @ 12:49 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

The little boards are a lot more convenient for a lot of reasons, until you get a mid to big fish on, then I totally disagree.  I actually prefer to run both the big and small boards at the same time.  I feel like I can cover a lot of options that way and then once something works, start turning over to that technique that day.  Just my style I guess.  Thanks for your inputs.  I'm looking to learn all the time!

1/15/19 @ 5:38 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Take a look at Church Tackle TX-44’s before you build anything new.

Edit: I got mine on EBay for about half of the price of new.

1/15/19 @ 2:41 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Other then a few big boats pulling VERY large boards I don't think many even use them anymore. So much more convenient with in-lines.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 14 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Mojo Ice gets a face-lift for 2021; sporting a new carbon dust blank and flat finish reel seat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - NEW Mojo Ice Rods
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
MEGA Imaging® takes fish finding into the megahertz range for more detail and domination. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.