SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Best Lake Michigan boat to buy

5/27/21 @ 4:15 AM
INITIAL POST
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

In the market for a boat to use on Lake Michigan as well as Lake Winnebago.  I was looking at Skeeter for a fiberglass model and Starweld for an aluminum model.  Just looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.  It seems on fiberglass models I looked at putting out downriggers looks like a pain to have to kneel on a bench compared to aluminum models like the Starweld have a section cut out making it easier to stand. Looking at price points as well as ease of operation and quality of ride and safety on the big lake.   Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
7/29/21 @ 5:04 PM
AWS
User since 2/18/19

Can't comment on glass boats but as far as aluminum I am a fan of northwest style boats. I mostly troll big water and do rivers in spring. Helm forward design makes bow a little tight for working a trolling motor but doable. That same design gives a huge dance floor for trolling. Some say the helm forward design causes a rough ride but that probably depends on what it's compared to. My 1850 Commander rides better than my old 1700 Lund Fisherman. If I had to do it over I would go Thunderjet or any other northwest builder other than Crestliner. Not impressed with build quality or dealer support. But the style is perfect for what I do. Talk to Frank Martin at Calumet Marine. He's the closest TJ dealer and formerly sold Hewes, he's a wealth of knowledge on this design.

6/30/21 @ 8:05 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Fly - Call the track manufacturer. They will have exact info on how to mount for your model boat.

6/30/21 @ 6:14 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Personally no way I drill holes in that boat, I would get the slide in brackets to attach the tracks for the cleanest application.

If you insist on drilling I see that its not a carpeted rail, set the track in 4200 or 5300 3M sealant and screw or rivet will be fine.

Again though, no way I'm drilling if I have another viable option.

6/29/21 @ 10:20 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Thanks a lot for the comments and experience…I am very thankful. Last question I hope…I bought 2-6” tracks for my rod trees and 2-24” tracks for my dipsey divers. I would have gone 1 long track but Bimini bracket is in the way.  My question is passenger side gunnel is all clear of wires so I can bolt down the tracks no problem…will I need a plate underneath for more support? Driver’s side has a bunch of wires making getting a plate underneath more complicated…I seen some videos of people riveting their tracks down that would save me trying to fish washers/nuts through. Will I need a plate and are rivets enough if running just one dipsey?

6/29/21 @ 2:09 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

24" of separation is more than plenty, especially if your fishing a shorter rod to the inside. I fish 8' Talora wire rods inside 9' Talora braid diver rods with 12" separation. If I run a third diver per side I add a 10' rod with Slide-Diver for a shallow diver 12" forward so actually 3 rods in approximately 24". 

6/29/21 @ 10:16 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

You'd have to run your high diver rod a little higher than the inside diver, but 24" apart would work. I think Jeremy Brenner (guide) runs that same boat...I'm sure you will like it.

6/28/21 @ 10:35 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Algomaskeeter I didn’t get a message from you so not sure what happened, but I did bring home a new to me 2018 Crestliner 2050 Authority today. Now the fun of rigging…question for input is a 24” track long enough for two dipsey rods? I’m kind of stuck in that a Bimini bracket only allows about 30” between that bracket and my downrigger 

6/21/21 @ 5:49 PM
otter man
User since 1/3/10

LUND TYEE 18OO love it for bay of green bay and Lake Michigan

6/8/21 @ 8:29 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

Flyallday-sent you a message. I’m waiting for my new boat to deliver and my 2017 WX 2060 could be for sale for the right price. 

It’s loaded, and could save you tens of thousands over new.  

6/5/21 @ 7:42 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04
Thanks everyone for all the comments...yes I am looking for a new or newer boat, but if an old one pops up for cheap I am game for that too.  I have all the gear just no boat and just want to be able to go when I want and not have to wait on a buddy that has a boat to match my days off.  I mostly fish Bago or LM and don't musky fish.  A deeper hull with high side walls is my preference with wide sides to mount a track would be nice.  
6/5/21 @ 7:23 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Fishing lake Michigan is fun.  On what boat to get...imo,  for fishing lake Michigan and larger inland lakes pick a boat from 17 to 21 feet. Deep and fairly wide.   You want a boat that does everything.   That is not always possible.  You may need to compromise some things you want but you should be able to find a boat that covers most of your needs.

First,  how big of a vehicle do you have to tow your new boat?  If your looking at the 20 to 21 foot range,  aluminum or glass,  you will need a full size truck.

Do you walleye/bass fish more than great lake fish?  If you do, you need a casting platform and front electric trolling system.  

If you want to great lakes fish,  look at how easy and sturdy it will be to mount riggers, pole holders, trees, maybe a second trolling motor.  Some boats are just difficult to rig with salmon gear.  There are many after market rigging systems that have simplified this process but they are not inexpensive.  Will you use new boat enough on the greats lakes to justify those expenses?  

Now...much of those rigging systems can do double work on inland fishing.   Pick the ones that work for both.

On the boat itself, pick one with enough horsepower to move the boat with a good load.  We like to salmon fish with friends and lots of equipment.  All that weighs a lot.  Horse power helps.  I think try to stick with 4 stroke technology.   Big motor to move boat and can still troll slow if needed.  Make sure there is room on new boat to mount kicker motor.  Dependent on size of boat, a kicker of 8 to 15 hp, stay 4 stroke.  Many of the kicker motors are designed with high thrust props.  Those are best for trolling.

Look at the interior of boat.  Is there room for 3 to 4 folks to sit comfortably?  Remember you will have lots of tackle and extra gear.  Is there good storage or will you be stepping over everything.  I have fished in both styles.  Boats that are clean an tidy and all the gear is stored efficiently and some were the gear is everywhere and you are not sure were to step.  I prefer the tidy setup.

If you buy used,  check boat and motor over very close.  There are great deals to be had in the used market.  You just need to do your home work.  All the suggestions above apply to a used boat also.

Good luck in your boat purchase and take a kid fishing.

I

6/3/21 @ 1:30 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Sounded like he was looking for new, but if not I'll throw my 1978 18' Starcraft w/ 85 HP Johnson in as an option if looking for used. Starts every time. Runs great. Hull doesn't leak a drop.  Officially available as of this week. 

6/3/21 @ 9:33 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

Spent the last three years fishing Lake Michigan and Green Bay waters from a Skeeter WX2060.  Great boat. My riggers are mounted on traxtech rails and positioned just forward of the rear bench. I run them 90degrees out for separation at the ball and kicker avoidance.  This setup works perfect WITH two people, but can get tricky deploying alone.  I-pilot minnkota provides my autopilot while doing this alone but you must be careful because the sides are ripe for a fall overboard. I’ve been out in waves I shouldn’t have been before, and it always got me home, but there are better Lake Michigan hulls out there.  As a compromise between bass on the bay and occasional salmonid trolling it can’t be beat. 

6/2/21 @ 8:19 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

You don't have to run your downriggers off the very back of the boat.  You can mount them to the side just in front of the 'bench' yet.  That's what I do so that I don't have to go back and its fine.  Still plenty of room for other rod holders, especially if you use a tree for your board rods.

5/30/21 @ 8:40 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

The skeeter is definitely a more versatile big water multi-species friendly boat. Musky/pike, bass, walleye, panfish, salmon, trout, doesn’t matter and does all really well casting or trolling. With some of these deeper multi-species boats, it isn’t the easiest task unhooking a big musky or pike in the water while it’s in the net. I think that task would be almost impossible in the crestliner commander but to me the crestliner would be a better trolling rig for walleyes and salmon/trout. I like how far forward the consoles are so there’s lots of floor space for trolling. I guess my point is, do you musky fish? Landing, unhooking and safely releasing musky over the high sides on the commander might be difficult. My buddy has been eyeing up a commander for a couple years now. He has a Starweld now. Good luck!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE