Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best Lake Michigan boat to buy

5/27/21 @ 4:15 AM
ORIGINAL POST
FlyAllDay
USER SINCE 11/2/04

In the market for a boat to use on Lake Michigan as well as Lake Winnebago.  I was looking at Skeeter for a fiberglass model and Starweld for an aluminum model.  Just looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.  It seems on fiberglass models I looked at putting out downriggers looks like a pain to have to kneel on a bench compared to aluminum models like the Starweld have a section cut out making it easier to stand. Looking at price points as well as ease of operation and quality of ride and safety on the big lake.   Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/29/21 @ 5:04 PM
AWS
USER SINCE 2/18/19

Can't comment on glass boats but as far as aluminum I am a fan of northwest style boats. I mostly troll big water and do rivers in spring. Helm forward design makes bow a little tight for working a trolling motor but doable. That same design gives a huge dance floor for trolling. Some say the helm forward design causes a rough ride but that probably depends on what it's compared to. My 1850 Commander rides better than my old 1700 Lund Fisherman. If I had to do it over I would go Thunderjet or any other northwest builder other than Crestliner. Not impressed with build quality or dealer support. But the style is perfect for what I do. Talk to Frank Martin at Calumet Marine. He's the closest TJ dealer and formerly sold Hewes, he's a wealth of knowledge on this design.

6/30/21 @ 8:05 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER SINCE 3/20/02

Fly - Call the track manufacturer. They will have exact info on how to mount for your model boat.

6/30/21 @ 6:14 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

Personally no way I drill holes in that boat, I would get the slide in brackets to attach the tracks for the cleanest application.

If you insist on drilling I see that its not a carpeted rail, set the track in 4200 or 5300 3M sealant and screw or rivet will be fine.

Again though, no way I'm drilling if I have another viable option.

6/29/21 @ 10:20 PM
FlyAllDay
USER SINCE 11/2/04

Thanks a lot for the comments and experience…I am very thankful. Last question I hope…I bought 2-6” tracks for my rod trees and 2-24” tracks for my dipsey divers. I would have gone 1 long track but Bimini bracket is in the way.  My question is passenger side gunnel is all clear of wires so I can bolt down the tracks no problem…will I need a plate underneath for more support? Driver’s side has a bunch of wires making getting a plate underneath more complicated…I seen some videos of people riveting their tracks down that would save me trying to fish washers/nuts through. Will I need a plate and are rivets enough if running just one dipsey?

6/29/21 @ 2:09 PM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

24" of separation is more than plenty, especially if your fishing a shorter rod to the inside. I fish 8' Talora wire rods inside 9' Talora braid diver rods with 12" separation. If I run a third diver per side I add a 10' rod with Slide-Diver for a shallow diver 12" forward so actually 3 rods in approximately 24". 

6/29/21 @ 10:16 AM
Thump55
USER SINCE 7/19/04

You'd have to run your high diver rod a little higher than the inside diver, but 24" apart would work. I think Jeremy Brenner (guide) runs that same boat...I'm sure you will like it.

6/28/21 @ 10:35 PM
FlyAllDay
USER SINCE 11/2/04

Algomaskeeter I didn’t get a message from you so not sure what happened, but I did bring home a new to me 2018 Crestliner 2050 Authority today. Now the fun of rigging…question for input is a 24” track long enough for two dipsey rods? I’m kind of stuck in that a Bimini bracket only allows about 30” between that bracket and my downrigger 

6/21/21 @ 5:49 PM
otter man
USER SINCE 1/3/10

LUND TYEE 18OO love it for bay of green bay and Lake Michigan

6/8/21 @ 8:29 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
USER SINCE 5/31/17

Flyallday-sent you a message. I’m waiting for my new boat to deliver and my 2017 WX 2060 could be for sale for the right price. 

It’s loaded, and could save you tens of thousands over new.  

6/5/21 @ 7:42 PM
FlyAllDay
USER SINCE 11/2/04
Thanks everyone for all the comments...yes I am looking for a new or newer boat, but if an old one pops up for cheap I am game for that too.  I have all the gear just no boat and just want to be able to go when I want and not have to wait on a buddy that has a boat to match my days off.  I mostly fish Bago or LM and don't musky fish.  A deeper hull with high side walls is my preference with wide sides to mount a track would be nice.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.