SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Best J-Plug size and colors

7/23/14 @ 11:49 PM
INITIAL POST
Who Farted?
User since 5/11/09
Is anybody using plugs anymore or is it a thing of the past, if so what is the colors that tend to produce? Do you run them with flashers.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
8/1/14 @ 2:24 PM
smokercraft427
User since 4/16/06
I love J Plugs! Once the summer pattern hits, which... I'm not sure is ever going to this year. I always run a #3 silver bullet on 5 color LC every trip it's good for one or two and like to run a 4 3/4" wonder bread with rattle on LC. Couple years ago I drilled a hole in the tail of a silver bullet and stuffed tuna in there Big Smile didn't catch a darn thing on it (blamed it on the hole and tuna changing the action) and had a heck of a time getting all the tuna back out. Dumb. should have used a liquid scent or not messed with it at all.
7/26/14 @ 7:52 AM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06
I'd never try to remove the rattles, BBs, from a J-Plug. You buy your J-Plugs without the rattles. The old models generally didn't have rattles. The J-Plugs with the prism tape inserts do not have rattles. I've tried J-Plugs with and without rattles but prefer them without. Fishing at night I'll use a J that rattles. I tried drilling holes to add BBs to J-Plugs too. I had a devil of a time getting the epoxy to seal the hole. If you do drill the plugs make the hole near the tail. Good Luck SS
7/25/14 @ 6:18 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
LOL when I read about removing rattles. Years ago drill holes in most of mine and added rattles. This time of year I love extended glow Js on 2-5 colors in no or low light. I bought a bunch of Js on EBay and sanded off the finish, primed with white and then various extended glow and finished with clear coat. Grey Ghost, Chartreuse, Blue back/chart belly in size 4 my fav. Grey Beard
7/25/14 @ 3:17 PM
bobndr
User since 5/20/10
Is there a "best" way to get the rattles out of the j plugs? I don't want to ruin them.
7/25/14 @ 7:50 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I actually have had tremendous success on the lighted ones (discontinued now) until they stopped working. I have only done well on j-plugs at night in 45-55 fow with staging kings. Seems like i put one out here and there during the summer and nadda. I always ran them on a rigger so maybe that is the problem. Perhaps I will try them on LC on a planer as suggested.
7/24/14 @ 5:28 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Color is like spoons, everyone has their favorites and they will all catch fish at times. The only ones I've never been able to catch anything on is the lighted ones - that is until the light burnt out, then then I started catching fish on them! I've never heard of running one behind a flasher.
7/24/14 @ 4:22 PM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14
I have a jointed Silver and Blue J-Plug that has had its days out there. Also use the large Pearl one once mid August pattern sets up.
7/24/14 @ 3:40 PM
swamphunter
swamphunter
User since 2/12/02
By far, the best plug we run is a #3 white glow with a black ladder back. No rattles, and we always run it off our slide diver back 75 to 100 ft. This plug took our biggest king the last 3 yrs. Just seems the 4 yr olds cant resist it.
7/24/14 @ 12:48 PM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06
The best J-Plug is a #3 Silver Bullet (4" long) without rattles. Long leads are best, something around 100' minimum. This is a great bait on a 2,3, or 5 color core with an inline planer board. Also works well with 150' of 30# copper down the chute or on a board. Remember NO RATTLES! Keep the hooks sharp. Good Luck SS
7/24/14 @ 7:58 AM
Fishercreek
User since 10/2/05
I run J-plugs in the fall and still catch a few fish on them. I really like chrome with blue back or chrome with a purple back, bone, and also run various green ladder backs and glow greens early and late in the day. I usually run them on my dipsies -no flasher -or on a long line or two outside of the harbor away from the circus. As far as size, that will depend on the day.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE