LOGIN
Lake-Link

Auto Pilot - Small Boat

8/17/14 @ 9:04 AM
ORIGNAL POST
rsie102779
rsie102779
User since 4/15/04
I searched the topics and didn't really find anything directly relating to this. My boat is 17 1/2 ft. I fished with a friend yesterday and conditions were challenging. What made it significantly easier not only to fish the tougher conditions but actually enjoy fishing during the tougher conditions was his auto pilot system. I have fished with him twice and each time came away with the realization that an investment (i use the term very loosely) in an auto pilot system is seriously on the table. I fish a lot with newbies and boat control is frequently a challenge. My boat is 15 years old and i am hesitant to spend that kind of money but from what i can see - it will significantly improve the fishing "experience". Below is a link to a thread where different units are discussed.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/6945-small-boat-autopilot.html#b

I am simply curious how many of you actually have an auto pilot unit and if so, what kind? Are you pleased with it? Would you do it again? Clearly it is a significant spend and to shell out approximately 20% of the boats value to upgrade is not an easy decision. Is this something that i can take out of my boat when i sell and transfer to new boat? Money does not grow on trees in my house but I figure that i certainly spend enough money on many other fish related things that this expenditure would appear to pay immediate dividends. In reading the forums i frequently see posts similiar to - "why didn't i do this a lot sooner" - seldom see a post about someone regretting the decision once it was made unless there were performance issues. thanks for your opinions. This forum is tremendous resource.rjs

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/4/15 @ 10:20 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
I don't have one but have seen several homemade versions. What they did was attach a piece of lexan/plastic to the shaft above the motor. Approx 10 t0 12 inches high and the lenght of the motor going from the shaft to just short of the blades.

To attach you need to manufacture a metal bracket that you attach to the lexan/rudder real close the end by the blade. You then use a really big hose clamp around the motor and across or through the metal clip thats bolted to the rudder.

Along the shaft above the motor you need 2 brackets. 1 on .top and one near the bottom. Here you could use metal plumbers strap(with the holes), just wrap around the shaft and bolt through the rudder or you could use a similar brkt. and hose clamps as by the prop.

best I can explain without a picture but easy to make.

3/4/15 @ 11:11 AM
tlcbear
User since 6/4/14
Thanks BM12, that looks like it would be perfect on the big lake.

10/24/14 @ 8:42 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
they probably just make something similar to this...

http://raptorfishing.com/mk04.html

2/28/15 @ 12:54 AM
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I know I'm late on posting this but had to say I also have an Alumacraft Trophy 205 with i-pilot and use it exactly as New Adventure does. I've often said the i-pilot invention is the best thing since the live well. Taking away the need to steer and the ability to adjust speed at the ball in tenths is priceless.

2/10/15 @ 1:25 PM
tlcbear
User since 6/4/14
Bump this post for Grey Beard. Any info on the rudder for the ipilot would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

8/24/14 @ 1:55 PM
rsie102779
rsie102779
User since 4/15/04
Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on the auto pilot options. Looks like Terrova wins by a landslide. didn't know there were so many users on Lake Michigan. This is my winter project. Thanks again. rjs

8/24/14 @ 1:54 PM
rsie102779
rsie102779
User since 4/15/04
Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on the auto pilot options. Looks like Terrova wins by a landslide. didn't know there were so many users on Lake Michigan. This is my winter project. Thanks again. rjs

8/20/14 @ 1:50 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
just to clarify - I have auto pilot and it sucks for Lake Michigan Trolling, I Pilot is a different technology that uses GPS.

8/20/14 @ 1:19 PM
Fishercreek
User since 10/2/05
I have run three trips without recharging with no issue, but I don't run electric down riggers either. How the batteries last will surely vary with the wind strength,the direction of it, and the direction of your troll in relation to the wind and current. I have not been below 50% on the battery meter at the end of the day. I keep the terrova level as low as possible, just enough to control direction.

8/20/14 @ 10:23 AM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08
Gone4Now- I can definitely get a morning and afternoon trip in without having to charge in between. If they were really long outings in big waves and strong winds, I might run out of juice in the evening, but that's never happened to me yet..... I always charge my boat overnight, so have never tried three outings in a row without charging. I also do not have electric downriggers, so can't comment on how much of you juice those drain. Also, I run cheap fleet farm batteries, so guys with expensive ones, I'm assuming can get even more run time.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.