LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Anyone using inexpensive braid for backer? What brand has worked for you?

3/29/20 @ 12:03 PM
INITIAL POST
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

I have to put on some braid backer and hate to spend all that money on power pro when most of the time it never sees the water .What are some of the cheaper brands you guys had good luck with?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
4/11/20 @ 8:40 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Not sure why you would want to use braid as a backer in your case unless it serve's a special purpose versus a heavier pound Mono or even Dacron which is relatively cheap to buy if you don't already have some?

Guess I'm so use to my backing being whatever I have to to fill up a spool so I can get the right amount of new line where I want it to be on the spool, plus not waste a new spool of line that could be put on next time I need to change my line. With braid also after joining to the backing, I always electrical tape around the spool so the braid doesn't cut down into my backing when the braided line get's down(amount of braid left on the spool) to that point. Even if I put all braid or fused line on a spool, I still use electrical tape and wrap it around the spool so the whole spool of line doesn't slip on the spool. A spool of fly line backing or a spool of bobber stop material would be about the cheapest one could buy that make's a good backer also if you don't mind the color's they come in! Lol.

4/11/20 @ 4:32 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

After doing some research I bought Kastking brand.It is made in the U.S . and had some good reviews.I bought 40# and I did a strength test and it broke at 36 lbs ,I only use 20 lb mono so this should be fine.Seems to be pretty good no memory,only time will tell if it will "rot" on the reel under the leadcore.

4/10/20 @ 11:37 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I have used Cabela's 40# Ripcord for years and no problems. On sale right now:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-RIP-CORD-PRO/1739967.uts?slotId=13 

Grey Beard

3/30/20 @ 5:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Makes sense if it’s backing for weighted line and your reels are short on capacity. 

Although, we’ve had some very interesting times pulling lines and chasing big fish into the death spiral over the years.

3/30/20 @ 9:34 AM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

Cheapest 4 carrier on amazon seems fine a bit rough but 1000 yard spools can be had cheaply

3/29/20 @ 5:53 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

I am using it under leadcore so I can get enough yardage on with 6 color and longer .The reels I have are not the biggest.

3/29/20 @ 4:21 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Any special reason that you want to use braid for backing? You’ll have to put on some mono first to keep the braid from slipping unless your reels have a pin on the spool to tie to. Using braid could also get pricey since it has such a low diameter.

I just get big spools of cheap mono like Cortland to use for backing. In the few times that I had a fish pull out enough line to get to the backing, it has rarely failed me.

Or I guess you could use Dacron.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE