Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

Anyone know how to rig a SWR dispy?

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
8/24/19 @ 10:18 PM
5walleyes
5walleyes
User since 3/12/10

@ Hockeyguy, I tie the mono to the loop with a regular Trilene knot.  20lb mono. 

8/23/19 @ 9:05 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

5Walleyes, what kind of knot do you use to attach the mono to the loop of braid?

8/23/19 @ 7:15 AM
5walleyes
5walleyes
User since 3/12/10

Here's my S-Biner rig. Works great. Haven't tried it with lead core but give it a try. 

8/19/19 @ 4:47 PM
muskymike21
User since 2/15/17

No fish Nick did a video on rigging SWR dipseys. Never tried it myself. But interesting...

https://youtu.be/tTrKX4iJBsQ

8/18/19 @ 2:28 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

I do use slide divers ,I was just wondering if lead core was involved like the SWR down rigger set up.

Thanks for the info

8/18/19 @ 11:56 AM
wldh
User since 3/14/08

Why don't you just use a slide diver and run any lead length you want. I even have a slide diver rigged up on my wire line rod.

8/18/19 @ 11:55 AM
DadsGone
User since 6/4/02

Hi Rizzo, if your looking for a SWR type rig for your dipsey just go with a slide diver style.  I use that with my wire line line diver and it works great.  You just add a section of power pro to any length you want ( I use about 50' ) attach your slide diver to that section and then tie on your swivel with a mono 3 or 4 foot to your snap swivel.  You then can set your diver to any length of leader you want to make your lure or flasher to have more stealth if that's what your looking for.  You can find that on you tube, I use it all the time for my wire line setup.

8/18/19 @ 9:17 AM
Timotheus
User since 7/14/09

I tried using lead core a couple of times with it before I had riggers in my boat, with a dipsy on a 0 or 1 setting, and u was only running 3 rods per side.  Didn't catch anything w it, but that could of been due to generally not knowing what I was doing as nothing seemed to work. Lol

Now I run 2 dipsys per side in my small boat.  The long leads with lead core swaying around just seems like a mess waiting to happen so I haven't tried again.  

8/18/19 @ 8:49 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

There was an article a while back about hooking the smallest Big Jon disks to a rigger using large brass snap swivels to make them unstable. Turned at a #3 setting they wagged up and down pulling a spoon up and then slipping back down to start all over again. The SWR is 2 or three lead core colors snapped in a rigger release and sent down as a stealth approach. Bigger discs would drag a rigger weight causing more cable sway back. Not exactly my idea of a stealth rig. Desperate times call for desperate measures?

8/18/19 @ 8:46 AM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

Thanks,I wasn't sure if there was lead core involved like the SWR down rigger set up.

8/17/19 @ 10:47 PM
Timotheus
User since 7/14/09

Yeah, I run all my dipsys that way.  I don't know if it is any better, but having a long lead, around 40ft, let's me hand the rod to one of my kids once I get the dipsy in. 

I have braid backing and then about 30ft of mono leader.  I go with mono, just so something has a stretch component to it, because there is no snubber.  

About 10ft up the braid backing I tie a loop knot.  I was using a dropper loop, but after losing two dipsys to knot failure (one when just tripping dipsy to pull line, and the other when a fish hit) I did some reading and am trying a figure 8 surgeons knot. We will see how it goes.  

Then just use an sbiner clip to attach the front of the dipsy to the loop.  

8/17/19 @ 8:03 PM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

S biner 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE