Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Advantage of Clincher with Probe

8/27/14 @ 8:00 AM
ORIGNAL POST
coldmark
User since 1/11/08
Regarding a Depth Raider-type probe, what is the advantage of the clincher method versus the snap swivel? They both allow for removal of the probe. They both have similar exposure to water. What am I missing?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/27/14 @ 5:06 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
The clinchers are easy to use. However, they are not perfect. Twice I've found a couple of strands broken where the cable enters. From time to time I visually inspect the wire next to the clincher.

Grey Beard

8/27/14 @ 1:53 PM
coldmark
User since 1/11/08
Thanks, John! Sounds like you have the same thoughts as me...if the snap swivel install is similar in performance, why did someone come up with the Clincher? Perhaps it's just that it allows you to avoid the barrel crimps and use a more reliable clincher. I'm just brainstorming here. I think I'll just do the direct connect install and switch next year if I don't like it.

8/27/14 @ 8:58 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14
I guess it would depend on you you terminate the cable to the snap. I've only used the clincher based on recommendations from others. With the clincher connection, I drilled out the rivet holding the snap, and replaced it with a stainless bolt. I terminated the cable with a ring terminal on the tag end after stripping off 1/2 inch of coating so it has a good connection. The ring terminal then goes on the bolt between two locking stainless nuts. If you just add a swivel, after stripping some coating, you probably end up with a similar connection but I haven't tried it.

EyeChaser Guide Service
(608) 225-2395
DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.