SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Wolves in Wisconsin

6/1/19 @ 1:18 AM
INITIAL POST
bscaffidi4
User since 6/1/19

I would love to see a wolf in Wisconsin!  Every time I visit family in central Wisconsin, I only hear about sightings!  If anyone knows where I would be most likely to catch a glimpse, please do share!  I would jump at the opportunity!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
11/21/19 @ 10:25 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Most likely the animal in question is a Coy-Wolf..  I have seen 2 on my back property.. 1 was 2-3 years ago and actually 1 was 2 weeks ago.. different dogs..

They are a cross of an eastern Gray wolf and a coyote that started out east 20-30 years ago (?) and have migrated thru here.

Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to photograph either.

they are 6-8"s taller and 20-30% larger in size.. blockier head

11/21/19 @ 11:42 AM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

Big Mac that is either a coyote or a young wolf. Either way it won't be collared or chipped. Fire away!

11/20/19 @ 11:45 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I’ve probably seen around a dozen over the years, mostly in Oneida County. One had a collar, and I’ve seen them ranging from jet black to almost totally white.  They are pretty much everywhere but there is no real way to predict where they go. 

Spend enough time in the woods and eventually you’ll get your opportunity. 

11/20/19 @ 9:24 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

It is hard to predict when and where you might see a wolf. I spend a lot of time in the woods of Jackson  and northern Monroe counties and in 10 years I have only seen three. One was near  west of Necedah and was crossing hwy 21(he was a BIG BOY!) and the other two were pups along a fire break in the Black River State Forest. They were confirmed as wolf pups by the DNR in BRF by the location which is near a known den. I don't think you can just go out and hope to see one. You have to be in the right place at the right time. Now tracks are another thing altogether. Just go to any sandy road near good habitat and start looking. I have a photo of a print that I laid a dollar bill next two. No mistaking a wolf track for a dog or coyote.

11/13/19 @ 12:27 PM
tankman
User since 8/6/08

Had one 6 steps from my tree last Sunday in Oneida Co.

There was NO mistaking this (or any) wolf from a coyote.

From 75 yards away I instantly knew it was a wolf.

He surely didn't like the smell of my path under my tree.

11/11/19 @ 2:12 PM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

see about 2 or 3 a year in Langlade cty, different area's driving around to lakes

11/10/19 @ 10:55 PM
fireman7777
fireman7777
User since 7/29/16

That picture is a coyote 

11/10/19 @ 6:16 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

I would contact the county DNR wildlife biologist of where you plan to visit.  He or she can point out where one might see a wolf or two.

8/14/19 @ 7:16 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

My contact at the  DNR, agrees with you 2.

He asked for a different angle,  if I had one. Luckily I did.

This other angle shows a better view of the snout.

I agree that it has similarities to a coyote. But the other angle shows a more squared snout. 

If this is a coyote,  it's almost as big as an earlier picture of a collared wolf!

Big Mac 

8/12/19 @ 2:35 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Looks like a large coyote to me. Fire away! 

8/12/19 @ 12:45 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Kind of blurry, but that looks like a coyote to me.

8/10/19 @ 5:34 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Well I have another wolf on my trail camera! The second time in a row!

You people tell me if this is a wolf, coyote,  or the highbred.

Big Mac 

7/31/19 @ 8:24 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I understand the "S.S.S." concept. 

But unless the wolf is threatening me, loved ones,  dogs/ cattle. I can't see myself killing one.

Sorry,  just relish my hunting privilege. 

Big Mac 

7/29/19 @ 9:47 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

SSS

7/29/19 @ 9:39 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I have a hunting lease in southern Clark County. Last weekend I switched out my SD cards. 

I had a picture of a COLLARED WOLF! 

This was verified by my contact at the WDNR.

I have heard several wolves howling the last 3 years. So I'm NOT surprised. 

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE