LOGIN
Lake-Link

Thinning out 10 acres

1/11/11 @ 5:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06
I'm wondering if it will cost me money,no money outlay, or will I make a little if I have my 10 acres thinned out. The biggest old pines I want to keep. Most of the trees are popples and pines about 20 -30 yrs old. How would I go about starting a project like this,and would a logger even be interested in something as small as 10 acres. CONOVER area in Vilas County. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/12/14 @ 4:22 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
You should be able to make a nice chunk of change off of this as long as you find the right person. My uncle had a buddy thin out his 10 acres of red pines and white pines. He took maybe 20-25% of the trees and they both made a nice little profit. The reds were just ground into pulp with a few white pines thrown in for lumber materials. I don't know what the exact totals were.

11/11/14 @ 5:29 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
Look at the DNR web site and contact several loggers / lumber companies in your area. Aspen prices are REAL good right now. I did a 8 acre Aspen clear cut about 8 years ago and a 25 acre select hard wood cut 2 years ago. Both made me a nice supplement of cash.

11/11/14 @ 11:32 AM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02
Best way is to contact the county forester . Popple is worth a little , white pine more ( 6" or more for pulp ), and red pine even more and they will go as small as 4" for pulp . Larger diameters will be poles or even logs , which are worth the most. Dnr foresters are free , but if real busy can point you to a good private guy . Will cost you some money , but that can help defray your tax burden for timber sale profit .

11/10/14 @ 5:20 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I had the same situation about 20 years ago. I was told that loggers dont want to mess with anything less than 40. I talked to a local forester and he referred me to a mennonite who select cuts. I was looking to get the money for all the wood, but ended up selling him all the land. That is not your situation but try contacting a state forester or a private one to get a referral. I had only 8 acres.

11/1/14 @ 5:43 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
You'll never know until you ask a logger! You might check with some of the timber companies or the DNR/Forestry department...

Formerly Steve @ G & S

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.