MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Ramps (Wild Leeks)

5/7/19 @ 11:52 AM
INITIAL POST
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10

I did a search I didn't see a forum for this anywhere else.  Anyone getting out and picking ramps?  What do you do with them?  Any good pickling recipes?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
4/14/21 @ 12:38 PM
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10

Lots of ramps popping now.  Found a whole bunch right in my backyard last night.

5/30/20 @ 9:03 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

Dug up some leek behind my house in the woods for leek, spinach, white bean soup, also spotted a group of fist size morels, picked a lb at least.  I use leek also in a beef roast for seasoning.  Can look up on the net recipes for leek use.

5/18/20 @ 11:27 AM
Hardcore-Wisconsin
Hardcore-Wisconsin
User since 8/10/10

pretty good cracker spread right here

https://wildernessfolk.com/wildleekdip.html

5/1/20 @ 12:07 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Here is a link for some first-timers interested in harvesting sustainably 

I think most State parks and forests are illegal to go foraging for eatables

5/1/20 @ 12:01 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Good point about sustainable harvesting Lakeshiner. I usually take just one leaf and leave the second one and the bulb per plant. 

5/1/20 @ 8:50 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I pick some every year but I usually cut them off and leave the bulb.  I may dig one up to make sure it has a bulb, not that they are lily of the valley.  Watch Breaking Bad, the episode where Walt poisons the kid if you want to learn about that look-a-like haha.

From what I read though ramps are technically in decline due to people digging the full plant up.  Based on how they reproduce and how long it takes for them to mature (7 years), you can remove patches forever pretty easily.  

That being said I'm sure there are big patches in many places.  I find a ton of them when turkey hunting.

4/30/20 @ 8:10 PM
mskyadk
PRO MEMBER User since 11/11/01

Mmmm made with freash ramps .

4/30/20 @ 2:26 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

I put a decent pile of ramp leaves on a venison bacon BLT last night and it was incredible. I chopped and sautéd them prior to adding to sandwich. Good in omelettes, on potatoes etc... I plan to harvest some this weekend, dehydrate them and grind into a powder for shaking on to potatoes, popcorn, whatever.

4/30/20 @ 12:03 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

I like them drizzled with olive oil and salt then grilled the best. Sliced up in a salad. Pretty much anywhere you'd use an onion. Haven't tried it yet but saw a recipe to batter and fry the root part. Can't imagine that would be bad.

5/17/19 @ 12:01 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Just a question about harvesting wild leeks . Some say to not disturb the roots , while others say not to just harvest the leaves while they are green . And yet others claim harvesting just the leaves hurts regrowth of the plant the next Spring . Anyone have thoughts on this ?

5/14/19 @ 6:32 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

I hit the mother load this year on ramps!!! I grill them tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper and also pickled them as well!!! Yummo!

Ramps (Wild Leeks) photo by ice queen
5/7/19 @ 7:36 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

We harvest wild leeks (ramps) in Spring . We have made pesto with them , cooked with hash browns . Used them in potato soup etc. I find the leaves to be better flavor than the bulbs but, taste is different with each person .

5/7/19 @ 12:40 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

I picked a pretty good pile the last weekend in April, Forest county. I like them in hashbrowns and omelettes. I cooked some with asparagus on the grill and that was good too. I didn't get to the cabin last weekend but will pick more when there this coming weekend. 

5/7/19 @ 12:08 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I have a patch of ramps in my woods but haven’t looked to see if they’re up yet. 

I found a bunch of wild onions a couple years ago and transplanted them to my garden. They’ve been going good for at least a month. I probably planted 100 and now there are many 100’s of them. They really took off. I actually prefer them to ramps. Sweeter and more mild. Plus they’re a lot more abundant than ramps. 

A great spring recipe I created with ramps or wild onions is to sauté some morels in butter, when they’re just about done, add a handful of ramps or wild onions, when they’re wilted, add a pound of fresh spinach and some petite peas. Cook a couple minutes until spinach is wilted. I haven’t tried it but some fiddleheads would go good in there as well. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE