LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Kids and Mentors Outdoors (KAMO)

8/23/12 @ 5:50 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Onalaskan
User since 1/24/02
KAMO is a Wisconsin-based non-profit organization that gets kids off their earbuds and into the outdoors. Never before has there been such a substantial need for adults to pass their outdoor skills on to a younger generation that has become disconnected with nature. KAMO has 5 chapters - Florence, Ladysmith, New Lisbon, Baraboo, La Crosse/ Onalaska. Kamokids.org is the group's website and provides details, contact information and photos of the group's activities. KAMO is unique in that members of the group plan, organize, and finance activities year around. These activities can be done one on one, small or large group. KAMO mentors are encouraged to contribute the time what they can comfortably give and are not pushed for more. KAMO has been popular and can always use new mentors who bring their ideas and energy to the group. The La Crosse group I'm a memeber of could use some people for Learn to Hunts or other mentored hunting experiences for events on the river and local Mississippi Valley properties. We are open to someone who may have horses or places to camp as that is what our kids are asking for.I will try to post our activities on here once in a while.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 205 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/9/20 @ 12:16 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

KAMO and the Wisconsin Waterfowl Association are hosting a hunters education internet field day in Onalaska on April 4th. This is an opportunity to get a kid certified before turkey season the following weekend. Also,if there are any instructors who would like to get certified in IFD, this class can serve as an apprenticeship towards that. The GoWild site student - enroll has details. Like it or not, IFD is where the demand in the future is headed. I was an IFD skeptic I got the certification and have run a few classes and saw how well it works. It's all hands on except for the written test.

2/26/20 @ 8:16 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

There was a meeting in Beaver Dam last week to discuss starting a KAMO chapter there. Twenty five people showed up. Our state convention is in Stevens point on March 21st.

2/16/20 @ 9:26 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

There will be a meeting in Beaver Dam this week about starting a chapter there. Mark Walters would be the guy to talk to. His contact info is on the website - An Outdoorsman's Journal.

2/3/20 @ 2:06 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

Some USFWS, DNR, U.W. La Crosse students, and KAMO mentors are teaming up to teach Angler R3 in the La Crosse area. The intent is to teach adults who never learned how to fish how to catch, clean, and cook fish. Our first classes are in February and we could use some more students.

12/31/19 @ 12:11 PM
jakman
User since 3/3/11

Thanks Tim will check into them

12/29/19 @ 6:55 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

jakman, check out the United Special Sportsmens Alliance. I donated mine to them several years ago.

Tim

12/28/19 @ 9:16 AM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

What a great idea and organization Onalaskan. Well done. Get this kids outside. 

12/14/19 @ 2:25 PM
jakman
User since 3/3/11

Oalaskan I have roughly 10-11 bear points and was considering donating them to a disabled hunter. Can you please point me in the right direction to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

12/5/19 @ 7:35 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

Recent pic taken by KAMO fan. This bull is out of a herd wintering in southern Jackson County.

12/4/19 @ 5:52 PM
Oalaskan
User since 10/2/14

KAMO is in need of an assistant for an upcoming large event. This requirement was thrown at us recently. Does anyone know of anyone?

The Kids and Mentors Outdoors (KAMO) group has its annual deer  hunt near Poynette from Friday, December 13th (evening) - Sunday,December 15th (early afternoon). This year we are required to have a person with a medical background on site - that person would stay in the Mac Kenzie Center Lodge on call (during this time, they could do personal work - for example, bring in a laptop). It could be a doctor, nurse, physician assistant, practical nurse, athletic trainer, EMT, or a person who has completed the American Red Cross Emergency Response Course.This person would be provided transportation to and from the event site, free food and lodging, and would receive $150. That person would have to stay the entire time. They would be helping a great cause and would really enjoy the atmosphere. Contact Mike at 608-799-5037/ brownmtjc@gmail.com if interested.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 205 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.